Thread: US Health Care Report

Thanks

Default US Health Care Report

Hi to all of our US members,
    There will be a special report on CNN this evening by Farheed Zakaria about Health Care in America.
    I saw the teaser this morning, and it looks very interesting. The journalist who traveled the world comparing health care systems made some interesting comments. He said that the US is #1 and #2 with outcomes for breast and prostrate cancer, but is at the bottom of the list of modern nations when it comes to Lupus, Women's Healthcare and Infant Mortality, among other things. I found it very interesting that he mentioned Lupus as one of the examples.
    The report might contain some information that will be of importance to many of us.
    Hugs,
    Marla

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (03-18-2012), tripLexie (03-19-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Hi to all of our US members,
    There will be a special report on CNN this evening by Farheed Zakaria about Health Care in America.
    I saw the teaser this morning, and it looks very interesting. The journalist who traveled the world comparing health care systems made some interesting comments. He said that the US is #1 and #2 with outcomes for breast and prostrate cancer, but is at the bottom of the list of modern nations when it comes to Lupus, Women's Healthcare and Infant Mortality, among other things. I found it very interesting that he mentioned Lupus as one of the examples.
    The report might contain some information that will be of importance to many of us.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    oh that makes me wish I had cable again! Let us know if it is any good
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It isn't very comforting to know that the U.S. is at the bottom for lupus. I knew it wasn't a priority in health care here, but I never dreamed we were at the bottom.

Thanks

I watched the show, and it was a very clear-headed comparison of different healthcare systems from around the world. It didn't mention Lupus again specifically, but did mention that chronic illnesses are what put the biggest burden on our system.
    Jeff and I think that every member of both Congress and the Senate should be hog-tied to their seat and forced to watch this report - it's that good!
    Mari, check online at CNN.com. You might be able to watch it on your computer.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Marla-I was curious as to how did the us compare ?
    I live in chicago(born here) but most of my family is in ireland (republic and northern) and I have heard horror stories from relatives there concerning waiting weeks or months for routine tests and procedures.

I personally am fortunate to have good insurance and could get in to see either of my drs if not today certainly by tomarrow.

So with all the talk of national health care I was curious to see how we presently rated?

Thanks Niall

Thanks

The report was very even-handed. It addressed the pros and cons of each healthcare system that it examined.
    The UK is extremely good at providing basic care for all citizens, but not so great on what is considered non-essential. They addressed the long wait times and said that this is probably the hardest thing about government provided health care. However, I had to wait six months for my first appointment with my great rheumy and when my daughter tried to get one, the wait time has gone up to a year - and that's in the US!

Sweden has private insurance with a government mandate that ALL citizens are covered. They can change insurers each year, and the list of companies is overwhelming. However, most people seem to be well-taken care of and satisfied.

Taiwan has what is probably the best system that was discussed. They were in sad shape years ago, much like the US, and they studied the different systems and came up with their own hybrid system. It works very, very well.

The conclusion of the report seemed to be that the US system is broken, and that it would be very wise to look at what works and what does not work for other countries and to make some changes.

We have what is considered to be good insurance, but we still have to pay a lot of out-of-pocket costs. It has gotten so bad that I will no longer even make appointments for MRIs when the docs request them - way too expensive! Getting appointments is not a problem for me, but the docs aren't worth my time - they won't listen to me or spend more than five minutes with me. I'm fed up with them!
    Jeff and I are seriously considering the option of living in another country when he retires. We'll do our homework and figure out where it would be best to live.

That said, it certainly doesn't help others in this country who so desperately need decent healthcare. It is WRONG for people to have to choose between paying the rent and paying for much-needed meds each month. It is also WRONG that so many families are going bankrupt because of one medical crisis. I really want to see some changes happen for those folks.
    OK, enough of my soapbox. I tend to get worked up about this!
    Hugs,
    Marla

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

n.mac (03-22-2012)