Thread: Anyone on plaquenil for 5-10 years?

Thanks

Question Anyone on plaquenil for 5-10 years?

Just wanna know anyone of you guys are on plaquenil for more than 5 years or a very long time and still has no side effects on the eye(retina) and still taking the drug atm?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've been taking Plaquenil for the better part of 8 years. I take 200mg morning, and 200mg at night.
    I've been monitored by an opthamologist since the beginning, and I've had zero side effects in regards
    to my eyesight.

No retinal damage at all.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-13-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks

My Rheum said there's only been 2 or 3 documented cases of retinal damage in the last 10+ years - dunno if that's just in his practice, or in general....but he said that even those were associated with VERY high dosages...not the 200-400mg that autoimmune patients take.

Not to say it can never happen - it's important to get your eyes checked every 6 months...but it's not a common side effect by any means. There are actually lots of WAY more problematic OTC drugs....so Plaquenil is probably not something to worry too much about.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Retina damage doesn't usually happen on the doses we take. Remember that plaquenil is an anti-malaria drug and when used for maleria the doses are much higher and the chance of eye damage is also much higher. This is not to say that the risk should be ignored. As was said above any person taking plaquenil should have a plaquenil eye test done yearly so the eyes are monitored but it is not something that is common on low doses like ours
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Same here. I've been taking 200 mg per day for three years now. My ophthalmologist is adamant about me coming in twice a year, with the major check-up once a year. I'm fine with that, and I've never had an eye problem at all.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i also have been on plaquenil for about 3 years.
    my eyes are deteriating at a normal rate for my age.
    i am due to discuss cataract surgery soon.

no noticable damage from any of my drugs.

Thanks

I've been taking 400 mg of plaquenil daily for 7 years, getting my eyes checked regularly with no damage found. My opthamologist once told me that in the many years he's been practicing he's only ever had to request taking one patient off plaquenil, and since it was detected early no lasting damage was done.