Thread: Generics....

Thanks

Question Generics....

I went to the doc yesterday to get refills on my meds I recently started. I told him that I really cannot afford all these brand name drugs. There isn't a generic for the Nexium, so he put me on Omeprazole. And for the Celebrex, he switched it to Meloxicam. He also started me on Lyrica (samples) so I'm hoping that if they help, I'll find a generic for that too.

BUT, I don't want to compromise my health just to save a few bucks. I'm all fine with trying them out now, and since m disease isn't in a severe state as of right now, that's fine. But with my scleroderma, it's supposed to progress very fast. And after the damge of fibrosis is done, there is no return.

So basically, my question is, have any of y'all had a good experience on generics? Should I sacrifice the extra bucks to better take care of myself?? The company I work for almost forces upon us to get generics. But I think when they say that, it's directed to 'normal' people who get perscribed antibiotics for the occasional cold. Thoughts?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Lexie,

I asked that same question back when I first got the SLE diagnosis.

Generic drugs are chemically identical to their name brand counterparts, and are made to the same standards. They also go through the same FDA approval process. And, many of the generic drugs on the market are actually made in the same factory as the more expensive brand name stuff.

Most of my meds are generics, and I've never had any problems with them.

Rob

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

ruziska (03-16-2012), tgal (03-16-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've never had a problem with generics either. The price difference between name brand and generics is insane! Get the generics then treat yourself to something wonderful with the savings!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Well to my knowledge, there isn't a generic for Nexium. But that'st just me googling. The things he got me were similar drugs, but not the same. And from what I read, again, from googling, is the other drugs work better than the ones he perscribed. I know that I cannot use the internet as a genuine source of research.. But that's why I asked y'all for feedback : ) Thanks!!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tripLexie View Post
    Well to my knowledge, there isn't a generic for Nexium. But that'st just me googling. The things he got me were similar drugs, but not the same. And from what I read, again, from googling, is the other drugs work better than the ones he perscribed. I know that I cannot use the internet as a genuine source of research.. But that's why I asked y'all for feedback : ) Thanks!!
    OK we are actually talking about 2 different things. Generics are the same drug without the brand name. The company that does the research and comes up with the original drug has "X" number of years to sell it without competition (IE Generic). The FDA says that the company should have so many years to make up the money they spent coming up with the medicine (we won't have the discussion of if this is correct or not). During the time period where there is no generic the medicines are often VERY expensive. In order to get a cheaper drug the doctor may substitute a different, older drug in its place. Those drugs may not work quite as well as the name brand but they are not the same drug.

After so many years the FDA says that the original company that made the medicine must allow others to sell the medicine (generic). These medicines have the same chemical compound as the original drug they simply carry a different name. They are much cheaper than the original medicine but work exactly the same

Hope this helps a little
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

rob (03-16-2012), Shine (03-18-2012), tripLexie (03-16-2012)

Thanks

Yes Mari! That's what I was asking. Because I think that Nexium is still oen of those drugs that have a patent and thus have no competition, just similar substitues. Are you on any 'subs'? Is it worth saving the cash for your health? (Not for generics, but for the subs during which time there is no generic..)
    -Robert Eliot

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tripLexie View Post
    Yes Mari! That's what I was asking. Because I think that Nexium is still oen of those drugs that have a patent and thus have no competition, just similar substitues. Are you on any 'subs'? Is it worth saving the cash for your health? (Not for generics, but for the subs during which time there is no generic..)
    It is going to depend on the medicine. Just like any other medicine some work and some don't. Give this one a shot and if it doesn't help then ask for the doctor to try something else.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Lexie,
    I agree with the others here - generics work just fine for me, too. My doc wouldn't give me a prescription for a drug for my gastric reflux. She just told me to get Prilosec or Prevacid, whichever I liked. I found that the Prilosec worked best for me. The irony for me is that a prescription version would actually cost me less out-of-pocket. Sometimes I think that the doc cares more about saving the insurance company money than saving her patient's money!
    I've also started drinking aloe vera juice mixed with tart cherry and berry juice in the morning. It coats my stomach and really helps with the indigestion.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

a little information my doctor told me.

most generics are the same as the origional.
    it depends where they are made.
    the standard dosage in each drug can be different.

that is to say that the concentration is still within the reccommended dosage, but may be at the other end of the allowable limits.

as anyone who has tried to cook knows, alter the mix slightly and there can be vast differences in the outcome.
    this can be used to your advantage, if your doctor knows what he is doing.

with one of my antidepressants, that i use for my fibro, the generic has a better effect for me.
    because i use it for pain management, not for depression.

apparently the indian brands are usually made with lower quantities of the active ingredients, (as they are cheaper).
    they are still within the acceptable parameters, but less active ingredient and more filler.