Thread: Pregnant with Lupus

Thanks

Default Pregnant with Lupus

Hi all and thank you for providing a forum for those suffering from Lupus!

This may be a little long as it's my first post!

A little about myself. I am a 31 year old woman, and I have been suffering from the disease since I was 18, but wasn't diagnosed until about 24. As it goes, I was diagnosed with EVERYTHING else first, from ITP with the lowest platelet count at 4,000, to severe anemia in which I had to have 5 pints of blood transfused, raynauld's, depression, malar rash, alopecia, Sjogren's, etc, and to top it off, I also had severe Grave's disease too. (6 years since my radioactive iodine treatment.)

But it's been years since I've had a full blown flare up, in which I am very grateful.

However, I JUST found out I'm pregnant, and apparently, I am 7 weeks pregnant. My doctor appointment isn't until Tuesday though with my regular physician, and Thursday with my OB GYN.

I have a few questions.

First, where can I find more info, or a forum relating to lupus and pregnancy?

I am EXTREMELY scared right now, as my pregnancy is not planned at all since I was on the birth control pill.

What are your first signs of a flare up? Fatigue is not a "symptom" to me any more, since it's so "normal" for me, I really don't know what it's like NOT to feel fatigue!

Right now, I can't tell what are the symptoms of pregnancy as it's my first pregnancy, or Lupus, as I haven't had a full blown flare up in years.

I know though, I started to get sores on the roof of my mouth about four days ago.

Also, what I thought were "bug bites" (But thinking about it now, why would I get bug bites when my feet are normally covered in shoes or at least socks? And it's cold still to have many bugs in this part where I live!) on my feet... but really thinking about it... I think they are more associated with Lupus.... although... positive thoughts!

Also, my last lab work which was about 5 months ago, my rheumatologist was content enough with my lab work not to put me on any meds for my Lupus, but my ANA titer was positive and still showed sign of autoimmune disorder, so she kept me on the evoxac.

Since I've found out I was pregnant three days ago, I have completely stopped all forms of medication, even Tylenol. I'm too paranoid to take anything or do anything without a doctor consent right now....

How is my positive ANA going to affect my baby?

Please... I'm TERRIFIED right now... not for me, but for my child. I'm already quite attached to my little dragon....

My boyfriend is VERY supportive of me and is EXTREMELY elated with his little dragon as well...

But... I don't really think he understands Lupus at ALL.

Also, even though I have a VERY supportive family, I am the type of person to "deal" with my illness by myself for as long as I can, until I have no choice because I'm in the hospital. And yes.. I am very stubborn... Ive been sick for so long in the past and that look of hurt in my family and loved ones eyes is something I don't want to see again... so... really... for now, I am dealing with this by myself.

So any other support group you know of, please let me know!

Thank you all for reading, and for any and all help you can give!

Thanks

I'm not the best one to comment, but all the forum members who have had babies themselves probs won't be online for another 12 hours or so, and you seem a bit upset.

There are members here who have had multiple children!!! They know what you are going through! The Evoxac isn't known to hurt babies so don't worry about that at the moment, until you see your doctor.

Sleep easy, you have come to a great place to find some answers and peace of mind.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a-holes.

Thanks

Hi! Thank you so much for your quick reply! I have not slept a wink yet tonight! I'm so exhausted, but im so uncomfortable right now! My rashes are making me itch like crazy, the sores in my mouth are painful, I'm worried, stress, and so on and so forth! Not to mention, my number one pregnancy symptom is raging hormones!

I even got out of my own bed because my dog who's about 12 lbs was making me uncomfy and I even switched room!

Is there any safe remedy I can take, or do to help me sleep right now?

Too bad tomorrow is Sunday too! I know come Monday, I'm calling and demanding one of my doctors to see me ASAP!
    Last edited by BabyDragon; 03-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi babydragon,
    please take time to calm down. there is a couple of members here who are currently going through pregnancies.

one of the best sites for reliable information, (apart from here), is lupus federation of america.

another good thing in your favour.....
    being pregnant decreases the severity of lupus.
    noone knows why or how, but there has been a lot of information going around recently about it.

rest easy and welcome to a really supportive group of people who understand.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pregnancy can be very uncomfortable with lupus. I am sorry you are having so much discomfort. The gals that are currently pregnant can be a great resource for you. Good luck in finding what you need to get through your pregnancy as comfortable as possible.

Thanks

As was previously mentioned, many women have had babies with lupus and pregnancy often "protects" you from severe flare ups. See your ob as soon as possible. You can take unisom or Tylenol pm to help you sleep if you need to. It won't hurt your baby. Most importantly try to relax. Your baby needs a nice calm environment to grow big and strong. My son is 4 mos old and was diagnosed with lupus after having him but now, retrospect had it the whole time untreated. So just know that you can do this, be proactive with your dr appts and get some rest!
    Graves Disease 2007, Ceilac's Disease 2008, Lupus 2012.
    "Не дай мне Бог сойти с ума."
    God, please don't blow my mind. - Aleksandr Pushkin