Thread: Laryngeal Reflux Disease

Thanks

Question Laryngeal Reflux Disease

My doc thinks I have GERD, but I have no heartburn. I DO have trouble swallowing, 24/7 post-nasal drip w/ no allergies, mucous pooling in my throat, tonsil stones, shortness of breath, ear pain, etc. From what I've seen these symptoms are more often associated with LRD and not GERD, thought many doc's know little about the LRD. I'm guessing I'll have to wait until I see the GI doc and discuss it with him.

Until then, anyone here ever been told they havve this?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

PS- He has me on Nexium, but I've seen no results.

Another symptom I forgot to mention. I often get these 'burps' that come from the bottom of my throat. Not like the one you get from soda or beer, but one that feels like a ballon is releasing small amounts of air. It's weird. Kind of like a gurgling/bubbling feeling actually. It's strange.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

I have laryngopharangeal reflux. Dx'ed with it about 2 months ago. Started in December. One evening I just had the oddest sensation of a lump in my throat. I have had this off and on since I have tons of mucosa and post nasal drip, but for some reason I got very freaked out that night and H took me to ER. There I received Ativan <rolling my eyes> and an Xray and a diagnosis of a "sore throat and anxiety." I'm sure the insurance company loved that. I made an appt with an ENT but had to wait almost 4 weeks to get in. In the meantime, PCP gave me rx for Omeprazole and more Ativan. I've been to ENT 2x and second time he told me that the swelling and inflammation in throat is much better and it has gotten better. But as soon as sinus flares up so does the LPR. Once he tapers me off the Omeprazole in April I will be having allergy testing.

I get those burps as well. But this is what I have been doing - I cut out caffeine, chocolate and dairy products. This has helped very much so I am leaning toward a food allergy as well as nasal allergies.

I'll tell you what tho - this throat thing has been really a pain - not literally a pain but it plays with my head. On days when it really bothers me, I take 1/2 an Ativan otherwise I might start going into an anxiety attack.

Forgot to mention that ENT told me that there's no actual "lump" in the throat - it's the irritation and inflammation that makes it feel like that.
    Last edited by Manderson; 03-07-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: ETA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Manderson For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (03-07-2012)

Thanks

Wow. That exactly what PCP did. He said it was probably a mixture of GERD and anxiety. And gave me Xanax. While that definetly helps, I cannot take it at work. I'm worried I'll be to giggly and worry free that it may compromise my job lol.

I'm guessing the GI doc won't know much about the LRD? I had seen ENT when I was younger due to chronic ear infections. Now, I don't have these infections so often, but definetly still have the pain in the ears. Maybe from the LRD? Who knows.

It sucks about getting rid of the chocolate, caffiene and dairy products. I literally just finished a chocolate bar and had two cups of coffee this morning. That'll be hard.
    -Robert Eliot