Thread: Nosebleed

Thanks

Default Nosebleed

Last night, for the first time ever, I had a severe nosebleed, I am 56 years old. I have had a little trickle before, after blowing my nose, maybe two, three drops.
    But last night I had a real blood nosebleed. It came out of nothing, I was eating my homemade chicken noodle spoup and felt my nose running, felt like mucus ( for lack of a better word,sorry), running out of my left nostril. I used my napkin to wipe it and to my big surprise, there was alot of blood.
    It lasted about 10 minutes, it was not gushimg out, but running, even dripping on my shirt.
    It freaked my husband out, he was ready to call 911, bless his heart. Luckely it stopped, but it scared the heck out of me. I know, some people have nosebleeds all the time, but for me it was the first.
    What could be the reason? Does anybody know?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i sounds funny...
    but it was probably the soup.

if it warmed you up quickly, then it can cause your blood to warm and thin also.

i sometimes get nose bleeds when i work too hard.
    my body overheats, and this causes my blood to thin out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (03-07-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    i sounds funny...
    but it was probably the soup.

if it warmed you up quickly, then it can cause your blood to warm and thin also.

i sometimes get nose bleeds when i work too hard.
    my body overheats, and this causes my blood to thin out.
    That makes sense. But the first time ever in 56 years? I have eaten hot soup before,lol.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

you are lupee.
    not soupee.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (03-08-2012), Saysusie (03-07-2012), tripLexie (03-07-2012)

Thanks

Hahahhahaha Steve.

I used to get them a lot while living in soth Florida during the spring. When I moved to west Texas (with lots of wind and dirt) suprisingly they stopped. But just last week I had my first nosebleed that didn't seem to be attributed to weather.. I thought it might of been the new medicine I started. I'm definetly letting the doc know next time I go in.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

One other thing to look at. If you are on in of the "chemo" drugs (Mtx, Imuran etx) you might want to have you platelets checked. Sometimes they can cause a nosebleed if the platelets drop too far down
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is online now Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Steve..great information (and hilarious). I get nosebleeds all of the time. My doctor connected mine with the combination of my Fibromyalgia, migraines, and pain meds. They do come out of nowhere. However, the hot soup was something I had never heard of before..thanx for that info. I will pay attention to what I've eaten or drunk before my nose bleeds to see if there is a correlation.

Thanx Again
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    One other thing to look at. If you are on in of the "chemo" drugs (Mtx, Imuran etx) you might want to have you platelets checked. Sometimes they can cause a nosebleed if the platelets drop too far down
    Even though I have not been on MTX for a few months now, my platelet count has been low for a while. Don't know why.

Debbie

Thanks

I get nosebleeds too, and if I get a cut I bleed like a stuck pig.

Apparently my platelets are stuck in my spleen, so I bleed easily. Also, air conditioning really irritates the inside of my nose (or is it lupus ulceration? I don't know) and it just bleeds and bleeds and takes forever to heal. I end up rubbing vaseline up my nose to relieve the irritation and help the scabs heal, although I just found out that vaseline can block your sinuses so a water-based gel is better.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a-holes.