Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm beginning to doubt I have Lupus...

Thanks

Default I'm beginning to doubt I have Lupus...

My only symptoms are joint pain, fatigue and canker sores. When tested my ANAs are positive. I haven't had the malar rash or any of the other symptoms, yet my doctor thinks it is Lupus. Is it possible for it to be Lupus with so few symptoms? Could it take more time for the symptoms to appear?

Thanks

since symptoms come and go..its entirely possible for it to be lupus with few symptoms. some people get certain symptoms and others dont. i hope you get answers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lisalewis1973 For This Useful Post:

lovelyophelia (03-03-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyophelia View Post
    My only symptoms are joint pain, fatigue and canker sores. When tested my ANAs are positive. I haven't had the malar rash or any of the other symptoms, yet my doctor thinks it is Lupus. Is it possible for it to be Lupus with so few symptoms? Could it take more time for the symptoms to appear?
    Hi Lovelyophelia,

I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004, and I have never had the telltale malar rash on my face, not once. Most of the time, be it a major flare or a minor one, joint pain, "lead blanket fatigue", and mouth sores are the main, and at times, only symptoms I experience. My ANA is also perpetually positive.

I wish you didn't have the Lupus diagnosis. It sucks, but there's nothing you mention in your post that would immediately indicate in comparison to my own symptoms, that what's happening with you is not Lupus.

Of course, I'm no doctor, and misdiagnoses do happen. If you really believe that your diagnosis is in error, by all means, get a second, or even a third opinion. At the same time, trust what your body is telling you, and trust your own judgement one way, or the other. You know your own body.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

lovelyophelia (03-03-2012), Saysusie (03-06-2012), tgal (03-03-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i also do not have the molar rash.

but it is not really impostant what they call it.
    it is more important that they find the right meds for you.

take care and please do not worry about the title.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

lovelyophelia (03-03-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

As the others have said, not everyone gets a malar rash. For some people the extreme fatigue and joint pain is what they have. As Rob and Steve nothing you mentioned points to not having Lupus however if you are worried about that please go get another opinion. The one thing that needs to be made clear though, make sure you take your meds because if you do that you may be able to keep those as being your only symptoms
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

lovelyophelia (03-03-2012), Saysusie (03-06-2012)

Thanks

No malar rash for me, either.

Thanks

I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, my doctor isn't comfortable to make the diagnosis so she is sending me to a rheumie who I will meet with Tuesday for the first time. It definitely either Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis, and since I have so few symptoms of SLE I'm wondering if its RA. I would rather Lupus, since it is less likely than RA to cause deformity and affect my guitar/piano playing. I suppose I won't know until I take the tests and get the results though.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyophelia View Post
    I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, my doctor isn't comfortable to make the diagnosis so she is sending me to a rheumie who I will meet with Tuesday for the first time. It definitely either Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis, and since I have so few symptoms of SLE I'm wondering if its RA. I would rather Lupus, since it is less likely than RA to cause deformity and affect my guitar/piano playing. I suppose I won't know until I take the tests and get the results though.
    Be prepared that you may not get a diagnosis right away. For some of us it took months or even years for that to happen.

I hope you take this the way I mean it but it kind of stings when someone comes on and says "I would rather have Lupus than RA because my fingers won't get so deformed". I understand that you meant it because of your music playing but many of us with Lupus end up with damage to our kidneys, heart, lungs and even brain. It felt a bit dismissive of what we are going through.

We welcome everyone with an AI disease here and we respect the difficulties of each of them. All we ask is that our AI diseases are respected as well. I wish you good luck at the doctors appointment and I hope you get good news
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (03-04-2012), Saysusie (03-06-2012), tripLexie (03-05-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Joint pain and fatigue are two of the most common symptoms of lupus. That's not to say, it could be something else. Hopefully, your Dr. will be able to make a definite diagnosis soon.

Thanks

I had a feeling that would be misinterpreted when I wrote it. Rheumatoid arthritis is very similar to Lupus in that it doesn't only affect the joints. It causes inflammation around the heart, kidney problems, and there is a form of lung disease caused by it, along with many other complications. The treatment is similar in a lot of ways. It's not meant to be dismissive, both diseases are just as devastating in multiple ways. I can't make it through this without music.