Thread: Great appointment

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Great appointment

I know we all are always looking for good doctors. I had a appointment at the west Penn lupus center in Pittsburg pa. I am so excited Dr Wasco(I think that's how it's spelled) was great( well worth the six hour round trip) She listened asked lots of question and not once did she get that glazed look on her face that reads enough already. She seemed to understand I have three young children under eight and need to get energy back and take off 70 lbs. She also agreed that Prednisone is not the cure all anytime I don't feel well considering i'm insulin resistant. I left with a check list of thing to do before my appointment next month. I'm so hopeful this mean I can work towards getting some type of order back in my life one where I can get my house cleaned and put two thoughts together. The only thing that I'm not sure of is she thinks I may have Celiacs so I have been reading about it will mean a lot of changes in our house but they say change is good.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flower21clr View Post
    I know we all are always looking for good doctors. I had a appointment at the west Penn lupus center in Pittsburg pa. I am so excited Dr Wasco(I think that's how it's spelled) was great( well worth the six hour round trip) She listened asked lots of question and not once did she get that glazed look on her face that reads enough already. She seemed to understand I have three young children under eight and need to get energy back and take off 70 lbs. She also agreed that Prednisone is not the cure all anytime I don't feel well considering i'm insulin resistant. I left with a check list of thing to do before my appointment next month. I'm so hopeful this mean I can work towards getting some type of order back in my life one where I can get my house cleaned and put two thoughts together. The only thing that I'm not sure of is she thinks I may have Celiacs so I have been reading about it will mean a lot of changes in our house but they say change is good.
    I am glad that you felt comfortable at your appointment today. Please let us know how the next month goes!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (03-02-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i am happy your appointment went well.
    lets hope you can start getting lupus under control.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (03-02-2012)

Thanks

Congrats on finding a good doctor. They seem to be rare.
    My daughter was diagnosed with severe gluten and lactose intolerance. She had to drastically change her eating habits.
    She lost a lot of weight, got really healthy, and has finally succeeded in getting pregnant. To top it all off, it might be twinsC
    If you do find that you have Celiac, shoot me a PM, and I'll put you in touch with her.
    Hugs,
    Marla

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (03-02-2012)

Thanks

Hi, I am also happy your appointment went well, it great when someone actually listens to your concerns and tries to address them. Is there a specific reason she thinks it may be Celiac Disease? I have Celiac disease and have been gluten free for over 2 years. At first it was hard but now it is finally easier and don't really seem to crave the stuff anyways. There are plenty of gluten free menus out there in restaurants too you just have to know where to look. About the losing weight. I am actually on the same boat as you. Even with malabsorption (I have Celiac and microscopic colitis) I don't seem to lose weight and instead hold on to it even after I changed my diet and have started working out regularly. I think some people just have the "thrifty" genes (certain ethnic backgrounds more likely like Hispanics which I'm one) and tend to hold on to the left over weight more than others because our bodies previously (long long time ago) were used to draught periods and therefore they hold it in storage.

However, you may feel drastically better after going gluten free if that is what is going on. What kind of testing have you undergone if you don't mind me asking? Mine was biopsy-confirmed in the duodenum (villous atrophy).

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to isasmommy For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (03-02-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

She thinks Celiacs because I have diarrhea all the time she has me off my meds for two weeks to see if that's takes care of it from previous experience it helps but not much. If I have to be out and about I won't eat till I know I will be home or near a bathroom and a lot of times I get awful gas cramps. When on my meds I scared to sneeze in public because of it I was taking amodiam with my med and that helps. But is another pill to take She gave me some lab work to have done but that's it so far if how sick I got when my husband made waffles with wheat germ is any indacation i won't be surprised when I suggested that I may have this to my family I got the she must have been online again look. I quess time will tell what worries me the most is I have three cousins with crohn's two on my moms on on my dads so I'm hoping it's not overlap ia which I know is common. Thanks for all the support.

Marla congratulations on the baby or babies I'm lucky we have three children they are such a blessing but my mom says nothing beats being a grandma

Thanks

I'm glad she is looking into Celiac, many people go a long time without being diagnosed. I have had problems since I was 15 and it didn't get diagnosed until 7 years later during an endoscope that was looking for an ulcer and they just happened to take biopsies and found it just staring them in the face. I didn't get the anti-Ttg-IgA (blood test) until after that. The blood test is pretty specific but they usually follow-up with tissue biopsy from intestine if that is positive. If it is negative then you might still be gluten-sensitive as other people are.

I know the feeling about the family looking at you like that, lol. Don't let anyone tell you that your worries aren't valid, they are considering that you have other AI problems going on. My current GI whom I really like and finally discovered that I have microscopic colitis told me to think about it like this: it is not that you are just stressing out and that all of your aches and pains/symptoms are in your head or just stress but that having an AI already and having any stress makes those other issues come to the surface or worse. That made me feel better about it, to have someone tell me that they are REAL problems and not just me making myself sick (as some people seem to think)!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to isasmommy For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (03-02-2012)