Thread: Question regarding flare ups

Thanks

Question Question regarding flare ups

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the great information in this site. I am new and still trying to weed through the posts to find answers to some of the questions I have. I was diagnosed with Lupus last September and I am on Plaquenil. I see the Rheumatologist every couple of months and at my last appointment in early January both my blood work and symptoms had improved since starting the medication. Recently I have noticed again a decline in how I feel and the return of some of my previous problems.

I'm not exactly sure what is considered a "flare up" or how to recognize it. Do people have frequent flare ups within months of each other? Can they resolve on their own or is it something that usually means an adjustment in medication? My appointment is at the end of March and I don't want to ask them to move it up if things usually settle down on their own, but I'm not liking the return of some of these symptoms.

Thank you,

Terese

Thanks

It is real hard to give you a clear answer.
    When I was diagnosed 5 years ago, I couldn't tell if I was flaring at first. I have Lupus and RA, and have alot of muscle and joint pain on a daily basis, but when I have a flare, the pain is worse, the fatigue is worse, brain fog is worse, everything is alot worse, when I am in a flare. I feel like I have a bad case of the flu.
    It might take you a little while to figure out, what is the daily pain and what is a flare.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (03-04-2012), Terese (02-26-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi terese,
    i noticed you found an answer to your question.

i just wanted to stop in and say hi and welcome.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Terese (02-26-2012)

Thanks

Hi Terese,
    Welcome to WHL. As Debbie told you - we are all different and flares are different for everyone. One of the best suggestions that people mention here is for you to keep a pain journal. That way, after a few months you can learn to track what is going on with your body and what works to alleviate the symptoms.
    Hugs,
    Marla

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Terese (02-27-2012)

Thanks

Hi everyone and thank you for answering I guess I still am unsure if people normally contact their doctor if they believe its a flare up to get medications adjusted or if things can settle back down on their own. I am only on Plaquenil at this time. I was hesitant to start the Predinsone and he agreed it was ok to just start with the one. This disease doesn't seem to have a light switch that flips on that says oh your unwell today. I think the journal is a great idea, the symptoms seem to be creeping back one by one and it makes it hard to recognize the changes. I will ask them to move my appointment up alittle to at least get a clearer explaination from him on what to expect. The first visit with him I left going ok, what is Lupus. The second one I had armed myself with some information so I had some questions for him but now it seems....I need to understand how to live with it and what to expect.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terese View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you for answering I guess I still am unsure if people normally contact their doctor if they believe its a flare up to get medications adjusted or if things can settle back down on their own. I am only on Plaquenil at this time. I was hesitant to start the Predinsone and he agreed it was ok to just start with the one. This disease doesn't seem to have a light switch that flips on that says oh your unwell today. I think the journal is a great idea, the symptoms seem to be creeping back one by one and it makes it hard to recognize the changes. I will ask them to move my appointment up alittle to at least get a clearer explaination from him on what to expect. The first visit with him I left going ok, what is Lupus. The second one I had armed myself with some information so I had some questions for him but now it seems....I need to understand how to live with it and what to expect.
    I know our answers are vague and hard to understand but it is because trying to describe them is difficult. The best way to think of a flare is any period when your disease is more active. Any period when you are feeling worse. Any period when you can't do the things you could do before.

Usually I wait for my next appointment because I can go through several bad spells during the time between appointments. With you being new, you might need to go to the doctor so he can adjust meds.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~