Thread: New to this site.

Thanks

Red face New to this site.

Hi to all,
    I am a newby to the site but I have had lupus for many years. Thankfully it has been very tame for about 8 years. I did go through 8 years of awful symptoms and medications before it came under control. I had 8 years of prednisone, 4 years of that with methotrexate and about 15 years of Plaquenil. My doctor just took me off Plaquenil this week because I have been having hives and itching since I quit taking daily benadryl (I took benadryl to sleep and control itching..I thought was due to hormone changes). My rheumatologist thinks I might have been masking an allergic issue to Plaquenil with the benadryl for all these years. I have had a few bouts over the years due to sun exposure. Once it even showed up in the blood work that I was in a flare. I don't know...I guess anything is possible. I am a little worried about the Lupus rearing up as I come off of the Plaquenil. That's why I searched for a site like this, so I could get some ideas and support and maybe help others too.
    I had breast cancer last year. Just a small lump. Had it removed, had radiation and am now on Arimidex to keep hormones from attaching to the cells (my cancer was hormone fed). It's been about 9 months since I started that medication. Itching is a less common side effect of Arimidex so they don't think I am having problems with that. I would have suspected that one first but I guess ya gotta listen to the doctors! None of them think my itching and hives are Lupus related and my RAST allergy panel came out negative across the board. Who knows!
    My question is, how long does Plaquenil take to get out of the system. I'm just a bit anxious and I'm just going to have to be patient and wait and see. Anyway, I hope you all are having good days and I look forward to visiting with you!
    Linda

Thanks

welcome to whl i to am on plaquenil , mexotrexate and prednisone as so are a lot of us. i cannot answer your question about plaquenil as i am still taking it but someone will come along who will be able to answer your questions . we are a family here and are here to support each other in good and bad.

Thanks

I was taken off plaquenil, because it didn't work for me. But since I didn't have any side effects, I can't tell you how long it took to get out of my system.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hi island lady.
    welcome to your new cyber family.

many/ most of us are still on plaquenil.
    some of us have run out and not refilled our pescriptions straight away.
    it usually takes a couple of weeks for the symptoms to start to come back.

there are other drugs that your doctor can use if required.
    they usually have slightly stronger side effects.
    it is the lesser side effects that make plaquinel the usual drug to use.

sorry i do not know much more, as i have only used plaquenil.
    but i did want to say hi.

Thanks

Hi Island Lady,
    Welcome to WHL. Plaquenil is the only drug that I'm currently on too. I've noticed that I feel worse quickly even if I only miss a couple of days.
    I wonder if your doc will put you back on the MTX? It seems to work fairly well.
    Hugs,
    Marla