Thread: Lupus and Digestive Issues?

Thanks

Default Lupus and Digestive Issues?

I am newly diagnosed with lupus and one of my first symptoms was severe abdominal pain. I had just had a baby via c section so I thought it could have just been part of the recovery after having a baby! The abdominal pain would come and go. At first more sporadically than it comes now. Now it comes almost every day. I recall that my stomach hurt so terribly on this past Thanksgiving I could barely eat dinner. I feels like a sharp, stabbing pain that definitely worsens with eating. Cold water seems to help. So I kept just dealing with it. My rheumy was just keeping an eye on it. Then last week it was very severe. I was at work and ate a salad for dinner and about 20 minutes later the pain came on sooo strong. I was sweating, had goosebumps, was clammy and I couldn't sit still from the pain. My Rheumy told me to go to the ER. They didn't see anything in my blood work for liver and pancreas function (I had pancreatitis at 17) or in the ultrasound. However, while examining my stomach it began to spasm out of control for several hours. This has never happened before. It lasted for a few days. They put me on Dilaudid 2mg and Bentyl 4 times a day.

I am waiting to see a gastrointerologist next month for a scope into my stomach. Has anyone else had issues with their digestive system? I feel like all of these symptoms are coming so quickly and so strongly.

Thanks!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Many of us have some kind of digestive issue or another. There is thread after thread about it. I would pull some forward for you but I am on my phone not the computer and it is hard to do from here. When I log on from the computer I will find some of them for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (02-20-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

as mari has said...
    iritable bowels are very common for us.

one of the things that make mine worse is when i exert myself...
    i warm up.
    because i cannot control my temperature properly, i then overheat.

this causes severe stomach problems.
    my stomach gurgles as if it is boiling.

this happens whenever i exert myself physically.

it is a more severe case, but a lot of people have bowel problems.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (02-22-2012), E42brchick (02-20-2012)

Thanks

Thank you for the info. I guess it's starting to really resonate that autoimmune diseases come by the bundle and not individually. It's hard realizing my first 2 were not a coincidence and that I will be dealing with this for the rest of my life. And trying to take care of a 4 month old!
    Graves Disease 2007, Ceilac's Disease 2008, Lupus 2012.
    "Не дай мне Бог сойти с ума."
    God, please don't blow my mind. - Aleksandr Pushkin