Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ichyness and hair loss

Thanks

Default Ichyness and hair loss

So I've been experiencing the dreaded hair loss lately. I know that it can come and go with lupus. But I noticed that the hair falling out is not falling out at the follicle on my scalp but it is breaking off about 1/2 to 1inch away from my scalp. So my bald patches aren't completely "bald" but more fuzzy. My mom is trying to convince me brittle hair is a sign of a thyroid problem despite monitoring mine closely for 4 yrs lol. So I was wondering what some of you have experienced. It's also falling out on my arms too but that I don't mind so much!

Also, is any one else SUPER itchy? Like almost all the time. I find myself itching so much when I'm not busy with a task...particularly on my legs. It's a deep burning itch and I scratch for quite a while before it stops and it burns and stings sometimes afterwards despite not tearing the skin. Any helpful tips?
    Graves Disease 2007, Ceilac's Disease 2008, Lupus 2012.
    "Не дай мне Бог сойти с ума."
    God, please don't blow my mind. - Aleksandr Pushkin

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The itchyness and hair loss can both be due to activity of your disease as they are both common symptoms of a flare. Also, the itchyness could be a symptom of one of the many skin issues that can be seen in this disease, and these skin issues can also affect the scalp - thereby causing hair loss.
    It might be prudent for you to advise your doctors of these symptoms in order to determine exactly what is causing the hair loss and itching so that treatment can be started. Please let us know what your doctors think and what decisions are made. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings]
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (02-22-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Try V05 hot oil treatment, its really inexpensive and helped some with the itchiness and hair break. Plus it's good for your hair. Oh and for the other itching I used that medicated gold bond lotion. I found that sometimes the medication im on just makes me itch and nothing I do helps and if it drives me too crazy a benydral helps a bit. But don't just start taking benydral, ask your doctor, I was just telling you what helps for me.
    Last edited by Mica; 02-24-2012 at 05:54 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (02-27-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've experienced the same things, I like you Mother chalked it up to my thyroid condition. My arms and legs are now virtually hairless. Only good out of that is I don't have to shave.

I'm getting ready to price hairpieces. Mine is now so thin that it just hangs limply.

Good luck
    Nonna

Thanks

My hair is still thick, thankfully, but I have noticed that my "hairballs" clog up my shower drain every once in a while.
    I use Denorex for the psoriasis, but I also use Aussie shampoo and conditioner to keep my hair moist.
    I really experience the itchiness, and like you, my legs will itch so badly that I've dug at them in my sleep, leaving scratches.
    I've been using a luxurious shea butter on my legs, call Vivo Per Lei. I put it on my legs right after I get out of the shower, while they are still a little damp.
    It helps, and it smells sooo good!
    Hugs,
    Marla

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (02-27-2012)

Thanks

I'm a big fan of goldbond cremes its relatively cheap and works better than rx (for me anyway)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (02-27-2012)

Thanks

I just went through 3 weeks of itching and some hives and another plaque like rash on an elbow and my tummy. Rhuemetologist says it can't be from the Lupus and took me off Plaquenil! I have been on that for 15 years and I have had several short term bouts of hives and itching. He always says its not Lupus...Once he ran the DNA antibody test and it was 1:340....spells flare to me! I think he's wrong but we shall see. If I flare again maybe he'll put me back on it and see what happens. Any thoughts...Should I change doctors? LOL

Thanks

I've found that taking Plaquenil helps with my weird rashes. My rheumy in Texas blamed my rashes and head sores on psoriasis. The Plaquenil keeps them to a minimum. All of my rashes went away when I was on MTX.
    If you feel that you are starting to flare demand to get back on the Plaquenil.
    Hugs,
    Marla

13. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Islandlady (02-29-2012)

Thanks

I found that Scalpicin is of great help for itchy scalp and even on the other areas when the itch is intense. My rashes and itchiness produce the same type of burning you describe, once scratched.

Thanks

Ive had the crazy burning itch lately as well! Its the WORST. No matter how much you scratch it doesnt go away, and the burn is awful. I get it mostly on my arms and when I have it really bad I use vitamin E oils and just try to rub slowly where it's itchy instead of scratching. So far this has helped a little, but Im also on a quest to find a resolution!