Thread: New member

Thanks

Unhappy New member

Hi,

I am a new member i had a positive ana, i have been going to my doctor and was being treated for joint pain. I was prescribed meds for pain but experienced side effects so my doctor told me to stop taking them. I was then referred to go to PT for the joint pain. I recently had my visit and explained to her that i had been having additional symptoms that i didn't have before. To make a long story short she has told me that i have lupus and has prescribed another medication which i will be picking up tomorrow.

I guess my questions are:
    How do i really know that i have lupus?
    Are there any other test that can be done to determine if i do?
    These meds all have so many side effects how can i be sure that i dont end up with some other illness?

I am very confused should i guess go get a second opinion.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Msmari View Post
    Hi,

I am a new member i had a positive ana, i have been going to my doctor and was being treated for joint pain. I was prescribed meds for pain but experienced side effects so my doctor told me to stop taking them. I was then referred to go to PT for the joint pain. I recently had my visit and explained to her that i had been having additional symptoms that i didn't have before. To make a long story short she has told me that i have lupus and has prescribed another medication which i will be picking up tomorrow.

I guess my questions are:
    How do i really know that i have lupus?
    Are there any other test that can be done to determine if i do?
    These meds all have so many side effects how can i be sure that i dont end up with some other illness?

I am very confused should i guess go get a second opinion.
    First let me welcome you to WHL. I am sorry for what brought you here but am glad that you found us.

It is often hard to get a Lupus diagnosis because there is no "test" for it. There are tests that they look at but not all people get the same results from the tests. A positive ANA does make them look into AI (AutoImmune) diseases but it does not say you have Lupus. There are a list of 11 criteria that are looked at when diagnosing Lupus. To get a positive diagnosis a person must have 4 of these and all other reasons for having these symptoms must first be ruled out. The criteria for diagnosing lupus can be found here

As for the meds it is complicated. Yes, some of the meds have side effects but the side effects are better than allowing the Lupus to continue attacking the body. You also have to understand that what few meds are out there are used to weaken our immune system so it stops attacking our system. The problem with that is that it allows our system to be weaker and we can get other things. There are NO Natural type or home remedies that will treat lupus.

I assume that the additional symptoms are part of what led to the diagnosis. Read the link above and see if any of that sounds like you.

We will be glad to help as you travel this path.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i wanted to say hi,
    and tgal has covered your questions.

after you have read the thread she discussed..... feel free to ask more questions.
    we are happy to try to help you understand.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tgal has given you excellent information and has thoroughly answered your questions. I cannot add anything more or better to what she has already said. I just want to reiterate that you can peruse through the "stickys" at the top of each forum and you will find valuable information in them that might answer any further questions that you may have. If they do not, please feel free to come to us and ask anything, we will do all that we can to answer you, to give you good information, to offer sound advice, and/or to just be here to support you.
    Welcome to our family where you will find that everyone cares and we understand!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks so much for the information you have provided to me. I have an appointment this afternoon for blood work. I have been feeling very fatigue and have experienced headaches that make me feel very disoriented. My doctor had prescribed Plaquenil and it made me very sick. so now she has me starting a new medication which i will begin taking today.

I am very concerned because i had donated a kidney to my cousin who was very ill. Which leaves me with one and i cant afford for something to go wrong with the one i have.

I will keep you updated on my visit today. Thanks so much for the support.