Thread: 27, new mom, postpartum lupus sle

Thanks

Default 27, new mom, postpartum lupus sle

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Erica, I'm 27 and just began treatment for lupus. I had my son 10/25/11 and shortly thereafter the symptoms started. First came the rashes on both sides of my hips, then the severe joint pain, and then low grade fevers. I went to the ER because I thought I had shingles. I didn't have shingles, was given Tylenol and prednisone and was on my way. This trip to the ER was the only time my ANA has been positive so far. Come December I also start having severe abdominal pain periodically. I started taking more steroids and naproxen. Then I start falling a lot. The joints in my feet hurt so bad I fell down my stairs a total of 4 times at this point. Then I had an incident where my left elbow swelled up to the size of tennis ball. Another ER trip revealed no fluid in the elbow, was told I had a bad cakse of bursitis and sent home. By the end of january my joint pain became very severe. My Rheumatologist added Lodine to my daily pill regimine. Then my hair started falling out. As of now I have two bald patches about 4 inches by 2 inches on my scalp and I'm also losing the hair on my arms. I started plaquenil in the beginning of feb. Severe abdominal pain struck again and led to another ER visit as advised by my rheumy. My stomach began spasming in the ER and I'm now on 2 other medications. So that is my crazy lupus story.

The interesting thing is this all happened postpartum. I also have Graves Disease and Celiacs Disease and now showing signs of Sjogrens. It's been really hard and depressing dealing with this and a new baby. I look forward to gaining and giving support on this forum

Thanks

Hi Erica,
    Welcome to WHL. I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of those symptoms right at the time that you should be enjoying being a new Mom. Plaquenil takes a few months to get into your system, but after a while, hopefully it will help to get things smoothed out for you.
    We have a few new Moms, and a few who are pregnant here at WHL. Read through some established threads, and you should be able to find them. The stickys at the tops of the fora are also helpful. Feel free to join in on some conversations and ask all of the questions that you want. There's usually someone hanging around to answer them.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

hi erica,
    and welcome.

i am not sure about your lupus being postpartum. doctors appear to have very limited ability to find causes.
    i do know that stress to the body appears to be a key point for most people with lupus.

i agree with marla, plaquenil is a very good medication, but it takes months for it to build up in your system.
    only then does it work properly.

Thanks

Thank you both for the warm welcome! I hope this plaquenil works for me. As Steve mentioned, I have wondered of I've had lupus for much longer (now that I'm going through all of this) and that my graves and celiacs were misdiagnose seeing that they both "resolved" if you will, rather quickly. I'm grateful to have found this forum to have support from people who truly understand what you are going through. The spoon theory made me cry!