Thread: Son's Blood Test Results

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Son's Blood Test Results

Hi all! Just got back sons lab results and I'm a bit confused. Took him to doc because he has been once again complaining of knees & chest hurting, running low grade temps & the newest symptom is the lovely red rash he gets on his face. Anyway, ped ran all the normal tests and then some. Of course his ANA came back neg, but some other stuff came back off.

RBC - High
    MCV - Low
    MCH - Low

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your RBC's are high, aren't the other two normally high also?

EBV Ab VCA, IgG -- HIGH
    EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG -- HIGH

These were both at 8, anything above 1 is considered HIGH and Positive. I know that this is for Epstein Barr/Mono, he's never even been around anyone w/mono - especially w/home schooling.

Any help in understanding these would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Lauren

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey there,

OK, the EBV/Mono test is something I have come to know a lot about. The majority of people that have it never know that is what they have. Most of the time they are sick with what they think is a "bug" or the flu for a couple of days and it is all over. Although it is easiest to get when kissing or drinking after someone, you can also get it if someone coughs hard and their saliva sprays.

As for the MCV and MCH the answer is no, they are not always high when the RBC is high. The MCV actually tells about the size of the blood cells. When they are low what that is telling you is that the red blood cells are smaller than normal. The MCH being low tells you that the amount of hemoglobin in each cell is less than normal. There are many reasons for this but one thing you need to ask the doctor is if your son is anemic. Pale, small red blood cells is often a sign of that.

Hope this helped a little. Let me know if I need to be more clear on something
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (02-17-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks sweetie! I wouldn't think of him as being anemic. My girls on occasion - yes, me - always been borderline, but him - nah, not in a million years! LOL Oh well, another discussion for the doc! *grin*
    Lauren

Thanks

Hi Red,

I can't help you, because I don't know much about blood test results, but I hope everything turns out well for your son.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

red246 (02-17-2012)