Thread: Thinking of trying something new..

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Thinking of trying something new..

I'm thinking about trying antibiotic therapy. Has anyone tried it or know someone who has?

Thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

My daughter tried it many years ago. It was not that successful for her, I do hope that it is successful for you.
    Would you like me to do some research on the therapy so that you might have good information about it? Just let me know.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Ellie Hansen (03-12-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

I haven't tried it and honestly know nothing about it. Let me know if it works
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I've been reading a lot about it (books and websites). Maybe it won't work but since I am only, at the moment, taking plaq (as opposed to having to stay on the pred) and since I'm not allergic to and have never had a problem with antibiotics, I figure....why not give it a try.

I've been reading a couple books about it and (if anyone is interested) I've found this site:
    p.s. not trying to "sell" or push anything...just sharing what's going on for me.
    Last edited by rob; 08-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Something to seriously consider, is that "antibiotic therapy" is based on the theory, and it is only a theory, that Lupus is caused by a bacterial infection. Specifically, the theory postulates that Lupus, MS, and many other autoimmune disorders are caused by a class of bacteria called Mycoplasma.

While various types of bacteria including mycoplasma can cause a myriad of health problems and diseases, and there are antibiotics available to treat infections caused by them, there is absolutley no proof whatsoever that Lupus is caused by a bacterial infection.

This leads me to remind everyone of a glaring and unfortunate fact-

At this time, the cause of Lupus IS NOT KNOWN.

Antibiotic therapy depends upon the unproven premise that Lupus is caused by bacteria. There is no proof available at this time that backs up this claim. To attempt to treat a serious autoimmune disorder such as Lupus with antibiotics when the cause of the disease is not even known yet, is a risk I personally am not willing to take, especially when there are meds already available with a proven record of effective supression of Lupus disease activity.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 02-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-19-2012)

Thanks

Rob,
    I agree with you. How can the theory of Lupus being caused by a bacteria be true when we see so many cases of several people in a family (not always living together, either) developing Lupus or other AI diseases? I know that both you and your Mom have Lupus, and I've seen symptoms of AI diseases throughout my mother's family for a couple of generations, and now I'm seeing them in my own daughters. No matter what the docs try to say, I'm convinced that this stuff is hereditary. It's just hard to pinpoint, since there is such a spectrum of AI diseases, and Grandma might have Lupus, but Mom has Sjogren's and her daughter has MS. They are all AI diseases.
    My Kayla just went to the urgent care clinic today with a possible kidney infection. As is usual for her, the tests for infection were negative, even though she's definitely experiencing symptoms. Here's what is interesting - her tests showed her to be very dehydrated, even though she's drinking plenty of water and peeing regularly. She's had dry eyes for years, and she's complaining of a scratchy, dry throat. It's all making the old Mom here think of Sjogren's!
    Hugs,
    Marla

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

rob (02-19-2012), tgal (02-19-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

melane,
    i have kept out of this discussion until now.

i followed your link.

my fear is :
    anything that is to be used instead of plaquenil,....
    leaves you open to a flare, and the reverse effects of plaquenil.
    when you stop plaquenil, your symptoms come back with avengance.
    anything that you use in conjunction with plaquenil,.....
    has to not effect plaquenil.
    the two medications have to be compatable.

at the moment antibiotic therapy does not appear to state it is compatable.
    the do clearly state that no trials have been done on lupus patients.

i personally have had trouble with 4 organs.
    i will never go back to that severity of problem again intensionally.
    i would not jeapodise my health on an untried, unproven treatment.
    i am all for trialing new things......
    but i do not see any real evadence that this treatment has offered.

i wish you luck with your trial.....
    please be careful, and do not stop plaquenil whilst on the trial.
    Last edited by steve.b; 02-19-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: respelling lots of words

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

rob (02-19-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Don't get me wrong guys, if there was any sort of evidence that antibiotics could be beneficial for people with Lupus, I would be the first to put up the links to the clinical studies.

I'm not saying that the subject of antibiotics possibly having beneficial effects for people with autoimmune disorders should not be studied more.

I think it should, but right now, the evidence for antibiotics being beneficial for Lupus patients, just isn't there.

Rob