Thread: newbie from new mexico

Thanks

Default newbie from new mexico

hello. i am shannon i am 43. live in southern new mexico and am a working RN. i was recently diagnosed in the last month. my doctor is not taking my diagnosis and i have had to fight her tooth and nail to get anything done. i lost my vision last week and i went to the appointment and demanded a referral for a rheumatologist. i hurt so bad and the only thing my doctor will give me is motrin 800 mg. she also increased my cymbalta which i was already taking. i am just at a weird standpoint. i dont know where to go from here. i am an RN i am used to helping people not having people help me. i was told i only have a "little" lupus. i dont understand that?? thank you. shannon from new mexico

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shanson1968 View Post
    hello. i am shannon i am 43. live in southern new mexico and am a working RN. i was recently diagnosed in the last month. my doctor is not taking my diagnosis and i have had to fight her tooth and nail to get anything done. i lost my vision last week and i went to the appointment and demanded a referral for a rheumatologist. i hurt so bad and the only thing my doctor will give me is motrin 800 mg. she also increased my cymbalta which i was already taking. i am just at a weird standpoint. i dont know where to go from here. i am an RN i am used to helping people not having people help me. i was told i only have a "little" lupus. i dont understand that?? thank you. shannon from new mexico
    Hi Shannon,

I am unclear on the part where you said you were recently diagnosed but your doctor isn't accepting your diagnosis. If your doctor didn't diagnose you then who did?

As for the fighting for a diagnosis and help all I can say is ... welcome to the world of Lupus. Since there is no test for Lupus it often times it takes years to actually get the diagnosis since they have to rule out everything else before they settle on the Lupus diagnosis. I know this isn't going to make you feel better but you are not alone in what you are going through. It is really important that you keep a journal of your symptoms and tests because those will be important when you go to a Rhuemy (even though it may not go much faster when you get there).

I am sorry for what you are going through and I hope things improve soon
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Shannon,
    Welcome to WHL. My advice to you - change doctors!
    I had the same thing happen when I was first diagnosed. My first rheumy said that I "only" tested a little bit positive for a few things, most notably Sjogren's, but it wasn't anything that needed any treatment until one of them "emerged". I was lucky and had a PC doc who wasn't satisfied. She got me an appointment with the best rheumy in town. After doing all of the blood tests again, she told me that I tested a little positive for Lupus, Sjogren's. RA and Psoriatic Arthritis. She called it Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, and said that adding all of those "little" positives up obviously meant a lot of pain for me, so she started treatment immediately.
    You need to keep looking until you find one like that.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

hi shannon and welcome.

if somebody does not understand something.........
    they should say so, and pass you on to someone else.

this doctor is not doing this.......
    so pass yourself on to a new doctor.