Thread: love the job but making me ill

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default love the job but making me ill

I absolutely love my new job! I'm the office manager for a non profit organization doing great things to help make the world a better place. But the florescent lights are doing me in. I sit under a 4 ft. long florescent light most of the day and in front of a computer screen. All the lights in the building are florescent which is the way of life now days. I wear long sleeves. I wear sunscreen. I need to get a filter for the computer and the light I spend most of my days under. I also know the company should pay for it. I'm too "chicken" to ask. I can afford to pay for the filters out of my own pocket then take them with me if and when I leave or donate them to the company. The filters for the lights and computer can be had for less than $100. It's just getting the wits about me to present the information to the boss and ask for them. I just started a couple weeks ago. Oddly enough it is a company that works with disabilities so the boss of all people will be most understanding. Just too "chicken" to bring it up. So I go home most nights with a headache, always exhausted and my face feeling like it is on fire. I'm jeopardizing my health because of my inability to ask for something I have every right to. Shame on me. At home all the bulbs are LED. This summer my husband is putting UV filters on all the windows. Bless his heart! Home will truly be a haven. However, I spend most of my waking hours at the office. I must gather up the courage. The company is sending me for training for a week in March. Perhaps by the time I get back I'll have the courage. Wish me luck
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

If perhaps, a face to face is uncomfortable,maybe consider writing a letter to your boss. You could even say in the opening, "please forgive me for presenting this in a letter, but I find myself slightly embarrassed to converse about this in person......" something like that. I worked in Human Resources for years, and I often got requests like this, relating to medical issues.

It is just a thought, I wish you the best, I can only imagine how difficult it must be, especially when it sounds like such a good fit for you. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Trish

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish91171 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (02-09-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

please do not procrastinate too long.

procrastination is one of those unwritten effects of depression.

enjoy your new job.
    ask away.

Thanks

Rita,
    I'm so happy for you that you have a job that you can enjoy. I agree with Trish - one way or another, let the boss know what you need. It is in his/her best interests for you to be a healthy and productive employee, so this request should not be a problem.
    Do it soon!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Do it! And let us know how you get on. We should ask for what we need. It should be less taboo to ask for what we need.
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Ruziska,

As a former employer, I would much rather have an employee bring a situation like this to my attention immediately, rather than have them wait and worry. I'd like to say my concern was purely for high minded "humanitarian" reasons, but the bottom line was that I needed employees who were healthy, happy, and comfortable while at the workplace, and not at home sick. And, it's every employers responsibility to accomodate employees who have special needs.

Don't be afraid to approach your boss in a straightforward and matter of fact way. The sooner he/she knows your needs, the sooner they can plan to spend the funds necessary to make the changes. And most changes, are well within the budget of even the smallest of companies. Believe me, less than 100 dollars to help keep an employee healthy, is a bargain!

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 02-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.