Thread: Stomach Issues?

Thanks

Unhappy Stomach Issues?

Pretty worried about my mom right now, she's been having issues with her stomach after eating. She isn't able to eat any more than a palm-full or two at any time and is having fairly severe stomach pains. She says it feels like she "has a football" in her stomach, or a knot/lump that wont clear. Antacids or other stomach remedies don't seem to help at all. She has set up an appointment to get to scoped, but has almost quit eating because of the pain. Sometimes lying down after a small bit of food helps ease the discomfort.

Are stomach issues like this common?

*forgot to mention it is accompanied by nausea, sometime off and on all day
    Her uncle had some sort of stomach/bowel cancer and her dad passed away from MS, so it's got us all pretty scared.

In the past she has spent so much time around people that were unsupportive it's hard for her to remember that it's okay to talk and ask for support, and once she does she feels better...just wish I could make it easier for her.
    Last edited by design_for_mom; 02-08-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

many of us get ibs.
    irritable bowel syndrome.

your mother may have something else.......
    but it also may be a bad case of ibs.

ibs is easy to reduce the symptoms of.
    but not to cure

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

design_for_mom (02-09-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

As steve said many of us have stomach issues. There are all different kinds. From IBS to Chrones and tons in between. Another one of the joys of AI diseases. She needs to talk to her doc.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bobbi,
    As others have said, GI problems are really common with AI diseases. She may want to see a gastroenterologist, but if she's getting scoped, that's probably who's doing it.
    My problems are taken care of with Prilosec, but I have a daughter with IBS. She can deal with it by being very careful about her diet, but if she eats junk food, or has to deal with the ex, it flares and she's miserable again. I have another daughter who has severe gluten and lactose intolerance. She has to be extremely careful about her diet, especially now that she's pregnant.
    Hugs,
    Marla

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'm going to speak to her about this again and just make sure she knows the different things she might ask about when they are doing the scope. I've got her reading the forums and she is finding the information really helpful. It's confirming a lot of suspicions about environmental factors that seem to make her worse (like the fluorescent lights at work). She lives in a super small town so her choices for a doctor are pretty limited. I also don't think she's ever been to see a rheumatologist, it might be time she looks for a doctor in a nearby city that has some experience with AI patients. just wish there was an easier way to find them.

I'm going to help her sign up and create a profile as soon as I am able but unfortunately I've had a brief stint in the hospital due to a hemorrhagic overian cyst. Ill be be down and out for a while to recover but I should be able to get her set up after that and give her a crash course on blogging/using a forum.

Thanks

Just a quick update, they do indeed think that my mom has IBS that which is a pain, but also a bit of a relief compared to what we were worried it might be! :| Hopefully she can get it under control with some careful diet/stress changes and it doesn't pan out to be anything worse. Thanks for the helpful comments

Blog Entries
    Thanks

one of the things i find helpful.
    metrogal.
    it is designed to kill all of the bugs in your gut.
    good and bad.
    the normal dosage is 1 for 1 day only.
    i take 1 for 3 days.
    then none for at least 3 days. repeat if required.
    good bacteria tablets help afterwards.

as i said it kills all bacteria, good and bad.

ask her doctor about it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

design_for_mom (03-01-2012)

Thanks

Steve,
    Is that something like an antibiotic? There are "good" bacteria that we want in our guts - that's why I make sure to eat lots of yogurt, for the probiotic effect, especially if I have to take antibiotics for an infection.
    Over on the Sjogren's site, someone mentioned that he drinks some aloe vera juice every day and that it is very helpful with the GERD.
    Does anyone know if there are any contra-indications for Lupies drinking Aloe Vera juice?
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Steve,
    Is that something like an antibiotic? ...... Marla
    it is a big round tablet, (compressed powder).
    after i have taken the course of tablets... i use good bacteria tablets to help re-establish my stomach.

Thanks

Thanks Steve, I'll tell her to ask her doctor about it next time she's in. She'd be happy to try anything to lessen the symptoms