Thread: Lupus, Osteoporosis and Lower Back Pain

Thanks

Default Lupus, Osteoporosis and Lower Back Pain

Hello, everyone:

I have osteoporosis of the spine and hips along with Lupus, and I was wondering if anyone here has suffered a stress fracture or vertebral fracture of any kind? I don't know if the sudden pain in my back is a strained muscle or if I should have it checked for a fracture. I have read that sometimes something as small as lifting a box (which I did yesterday) can cause a fracture. Since I have never had back trouble, this is totally new for me and I am not sure what to do. The pain is pretty intense and it came on suddenly.

Thanks for any insight you can give!
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Thanks

I don't have osteoporosis, but I have had a lot of problems with my S-I joint (sacro-iliac - not sure of the spelling, LOL - basically, where your pelvis ties in with your spine...), and my Rheum actually did an X-ray as part of the diagnosis, because I guess S-I trouble can be associated with Lupus? I dunno....the X-rays were inconclusive one way or the other - but I have had some serious trouble and been to physical therapy several times over the last several years to deal with pain.

Sometimes it's mild pain that just eats at me - sometimes it's like a muscle strain, and sometimes it feels like somebody nailed me in the back with the edge of a shovel. One time, I was in the middle of a horse pasture and I bent over to pick up a rock about the size of an egg...something slid out of place and I could...not...MOVE. I had to sink to my knees, in excruciating pain - I was sweating and panting - I could not even take a full breath. The horses thought i was nuts, LOL....After about 15 minutes I managed to crawl an inch at a time to the fence and after another 20 minutes I could pull myself back to my feet and shuffle, bent over, to the barn and get into a chair. I popped 3 ibuprofen and just kinda sat there, trying to breathe and maybe realign stuff a little. I did eventually (with help) get tot he car and get to the doc, but it was UGLY. He said my pelvis was almost 2" out of whack that time - but he fixed it!

The good news is that the PT worked REALLY WELL, and as long as I am careful and stay strong in my core, I tend not to have problems. It meant changing some habits, though.

I dunno if that's what's going on with you at all, but I guess I'm just sharing my experience in case it's helpful. It may or may not be tied to the lupus - but man, if you think you cracked something in your spine, DON'T MESS AROUND....get it checked ASAP.

I am sorry you're hurting.... :-(

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Please remember that steroids, as well as some of our other meds, cause our bones to deteriorate. Always get your bones checked and I would suggest you go have it looked at
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Kathie Lea,
    I second what Mari said. Steroids are a major cause of Avascular Necrosis (death of the bone). I managed to get AVN without taking steroids, so I can never take them.
    If you've been taking them for a long time, it might be worthwhile to ask for a bone scan to check for AVN.
    Hugs,
    Marla