Thread: spasticity relating to lupus medications?

Thanks

Default spasticity relating to lupus medications?

hi everybody my name is emily and my mother was diagnosed with lupus about 6-7 months ago...she is 49 and she has been on the meds hydrochloroquine and prednisone... i believe thats it. however very recently she has been having "spacticity hypertonia" issues with her right arm and leg (she had a stroke on that side of her body a few years back) . i was wondering if there were any relations to the length of time and dosage of hydrochloroquine and any spasticity issues known? any suggestions or information is highly appreciated! thanks emily

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL.

The answer to your questions is really no. Out of almost 10,000 people only 5 had spacticity issues. With numbers that low it basically means people that would have had them anyway but you never know because each person reacts different. . Now, some people do get spacticity issues with Lupus or some of the other AI diseases and once you have been diagnosed with one often times they find others. I would make sure that your mother talks to her doctor about this ASAP as it could be an escalation of the disease.

Hope this helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

hi! thank you for your info! i really appreciate it! im taking your advice and looking at other syndromes that could be related to lupus and has more commonly caused spasticity and i have came across antiphopholipid syndrome...this is virgin research to myslef so any info is great info! she should be talking to the dr soon ... thanks again!

Thanks

Hi Emmy,
    Welcome to WHL! I'm the queen of spasticity around here - the calf muscles in both legs are hypertonic and the muscles in the back of my thighs are getting that way. I never know when my legs are going to spasm and pull me to the floor.
    I don't know for sure what is causing mine. My DX is Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, Sjogren's, RA and Psoriatic Arthritis). I've seen others with Sjogren's having a rough time with spasms, so that is one possibility.
    I've also had surgery for Avascular Necrosis, so I don't know if it might be flaring up again.
    I also have Spasmodic Dysphonia - the vocal cords spasm uncontrollably - and I have to get a Botox shot in the vocal cords for that every 3-4 months. My otolaryngologist thinks that my hypertonic leg muscles is another form of dystonia. He says that I should be checked for Spastic Paraplegia.
    It is difficult to convince my rheumy of any of this, since the neuro that she sent me to did a spinal tap and declared that there is nothing wrong with my muscles.
    If your Mom is having the same problems getting around that I'm having, I feel for her. It's pretty scary to drive and never be sure if my leg will start to spasm while I have my foot on the brake at a stoplight.
    Good luck with the research.
    Hugs,
    Marla