Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lupus and vitamin D

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    From what I have learned there is a question about the Vit. D. Is ours low because of the AI disease or does it get lower because we are will and stay out of the sun? Either way, as the others have mentioned, almost all of us have that issue. The doc. will put you on some meds to bring your levels up and then, once up, most likely put you on over the counter D to try and keep it up.

Once again... just another Lupie thing
    I too have had low Vit. D, and that's exactly how my Dr. dealt with it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-09-2012)

Thanks

yeah, me too, but 5 is like super super low. The really good news is that it is easy to correct and you will probably notice a big difference once you get that corrected. I did.
    much love to all my lupie friends -

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karenboss For This Useful Post:

gkf109 (02-08-2012), tgal (02-09-2012)

Thanks

I had my MRI this morning, than this afternoon I went to my doctor for a sinus infection, he had my MRI results,(man there quick!) It showed no signs of MS, but I do have some symptoms so he will continue to watch for it, But It did show that I have a quarter sized cyst behind my left cheek? when I get over the sinus infection he wants me to go to a ENT, just wondering if any one else has had this, I do have sjogrens, no sure if that has anything to do with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gkf109 For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-09-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gkf109 View Post
    I had my MRI this morning, than this afternoon I went to my doctor for a sinus infection, he had my MRI results,(man there quick!) It showed no signs of MS, but I do have some symptoms so he will continue to watch for it, But It did show that I have a quarter sized cyst behind my left cheek? when I get over the sinus infection he wants me to go to a ENT, just wondering if any one else has had this, I do have sjogrens, no sure if that has anything to do with it.
    No signs of MS is great news Gary. Don't know what the cyst is all about, never had anything like that before.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

gkf109 (02-08-2012)

Thanks

My hubby doesn't have any autoimmune issues (thank goodness!), but he has lots of low-level allergies, and he's had to have cysts removed from his sinuses...dunno if it's the same thing. His allergist said it's from year and years of constant, low-level inflammation.

They can sometimes shrink them with meds, but if they have to remove them it's usually just outpatient surgery. Not pleasant, but not horrible. He spent a few days on the couch, and got back to activity slowly, but he felt much better afterward. Sometimes the cysts can harbor bacteria, and getting that out of your body is good, I guess - HE felt a big difference, anyway. And now he has to take nose spray and stay on top of the allergies to keep the irritation down so they don't grow back. It's mostly seasonal stuff, so he doesn't have to take stuff all the time.

Again, I dunno if that's the same thing you have, but he's the only person I know how has had cysts in his sinuses, and that's how it turned out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

gkf109 (02-08-2012)

Thanks

Gary,
    I have many of the symptoms that you talked about (not the sinus cysts, though). I still think that a lot of it is Sjogren's, but the docs don't like to admit that it is anything but dry eyes and dry mouth. I attended a Sjogren's conference, and learned that it is much, much more. I posted about that conference. It was in April, 2010, if you look in the old threads, you may be able to find some of them I posted about most of the sessions that I attended.
    Hugs,
    Marla

12. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

gkf109 (02-09-2012)

Thanks

I found out that sinus cysts can be caused by chronic sinus infections, I have had chronic sinus infections ever since I was a kid, I usually get 7 to 10 of them a year, most of the time there not to bad, so I don't go to the doctor for every one I get, I know that some people with certain AI diseases get chronic sinus infections, but there is a chance it could be caused by something else, so we will see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karenboss View Post
    yeah, me too, but 5 is like super super low. The really good news is that it is easy to correct and you will probably notice a big difference once you get that corrected. I did.
    Lucky you. Mine was 7 and got back to normal after being put on a super high dosage, but didn't feel better afterwards.
    My doctor was convinced, I would feel much better, after it got back to normal.
    The same thing with vitamin B 12, mine was low, so he gave me a Vitamin B 12 shot, never did feel better.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

I don't know if my levels are low for vitamin D but I know it was one of the first things prescribed by the doctor when the diagnosed me with lupus.