Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone feel BETTER in the sun?

Thanks

Question Does anyone feel BETTER in the sun?

I know sun is supposed to make Lupus symptoms worse, but I seem to have the opposite reaction - just wondering if anybody else is like this, or if maybe my diagnosis might be off?

I certainly have all the blood markers for Lupus, and Sjogren's, and i have Raynaud's and APS....and plenty of symptoms (fatigue, joint aches, some neurological symptoms, blood clots, dry mouth, weird reactions to drugs, low-grade fevers, night sweats, migraines, inability to regulate body temp, etc etc etc...)

I have always gotten a heat/sun rash, especially on my neck and chest - like a really fine, EXTREMELY itchy rash - but it is worse in humidity, and I tend to only get it if I have been in a LOT of direct sun - like enough to burn badly.

Normally, I seem to have MORE energy and FEWER aches when it's sunny and I get out in it. Sometimes I will get kinda sleepy from the sun, but it's like a really relaxed, nice sleepy - and then I feel great. I know some of it is probably psychological, but I guess I am also wondering if some of us just don't have the sun sensitivity as part of our profile of symptoms, or maybe I was misdiagnosed? I dunno.

Thanks for any feedback....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,074 Posts

i still enjoy a little sun.
    but i go from no problems to second degree burns really quickly.

i do prefer 24 to 27 degrees celcius.
    i hate cold damp winters, it hurts my body so much.

my advice is be careful.....
    a little sun is good (in your case)...
    but do not over do it.

it is another case of everyone is different.
    please find your tolerance level carefully.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-06-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I also feel better when it is sunny and warmer, both physically and mentally. It rains here around Vancouver A LOT, and that adds to my depression. So when the sun comes out, it literally can lift my spirits.
    The constant wet really hurts me, and in the winter here it is a wet+cold and that also hurts me, but if its a dry cold, I do much better.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-07-2012)

Thanks

Well I think you do feel better with a little sun, because the sun gives your body the vitamin D, it needs to feel better.
    I can't be in the sun for long, even though I don't get a rash, but I feel real bad after being in the sun, I get joint pains, muscle pains and an upset stomach.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-07-2012), tgal (02-07-2012)

Thanks

I def. know what you are talking about! I started noticing my rash while at the lakes here in Texas about two summers ago. But I think I was too busy enjoying lake fun to let anything esle slow me down.. So who knows! Like you, I only get my sun rash when I've spent most the day in the sun and ususally on the water (lake, beach, etc.) But I think being in my vacation type persona I don't notice extreme symtoms.

BUT, as far as being in my office and the fluorescent lighing.. I feel terrible everyday and I get a rash everywhere the light hits. If I'm at my computer desk and not my normal desk, the light will only hit one side of my face.. And then I only get the rash on that side. But the fluorescent light rash I get from steady exposure all week at the office is much more milder then the actual sun rash.. Although my symptoms are worse with the indoor lighting. How weird?

Oh and anyone every tan in the tanning bed? I haven't very recently (when I started to notice my rash from the offfice lighting) but I've never gotten a rash from the tanning bed. I sort of want to go try and see now what will happen.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tripLexie For This Useful Post:

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

If all I got was the rash I can promise I would still go in the sun. The UV rays make my entire disease go into overdrive and I get really sick. I tried going to a water park this past summer, covered from head to toe and I still became deathly ill. I need the sun but basically I am allergic to it.

Hats off to those of you that can be out in it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have never noticed a reaction to florescent lights but I certainly have a immediate severe reaction to the sun. I have always sunburned easily but this is different-a minimal exposure gives me nasty rashes followed by aches and pains-flu like symptums(without the runny nose) I also need to wear sunglasses pretty much year round.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay I am going to watch carefully.

I definitely react BADLY to florescent lights....within minutes I feel feverish and flushed, headachy, and my joints start hurting. Places like Best Buy or WalMart are torture chambers, and it takes me a couple of days to recover from 20 minutes in one of those stores, because they have no natural light and LOTS of florescents.

But I don't get any of that with the sun, unless it's very hot and humid. My eyes have gotten a lot more sensitive in the last year or so, but no body symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if it's the ANGLE of the sun - I live way far north, so it's never as direct here as it is someplace south. I do tend to suffer more in the sun when we go visit family in LA or Atlanta, but it's also HOT. I dunno what's from the heat and what's from the sun. All I know is that the sun up here feels GOOD....I just don't want to be harming myself or making the Lupus worse.

Just another mystery of this stupid disease, I guess.

Thank you all for your input....it helps to get some "real world" stories!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Emotionally the sun makes me feel better. Lifts my spirits. Physically it does me in. Florescent lights are horrible! I sit under one all day at work- the company is going to order a filter for it but in the meantime I get feverish, flushed, headachy and joint pain. But I love my job! I also keep sunscreen at my desk and have to remember to use it. But God Bless sunny days!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't have a huge problem with the sun, especially where I live now. I live far enough north in CA that the rays aren't too strong, so I can go for a walk on the beach and do just fine. Back in South Texas, where the sun was especially fierce, I was miserable.
    I'm also one who doesn't seem to have too many problems with fluorescent lights. I guess I'm a lucky one.
    Hugs,
    Marla

18. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-08-2012)