Thread: Extremely excessive yawning...

Thanks

Question Extremely excessive yawning...

Last night I had a 'yawn' attack. Sounds weird, but most of you must be thinking 'she must of been really tired'. But needless to say, I was not. All week we've been going to sleep by 10.

I was feeling 'hungry for air' all afternoon at work. I wasn't getting dizzy or anything, so I know I WAS getting enough air, I just wasn't able to acheive that 'deep' breath. I thought it was because my sharp pain when breathing must of been bothering me.. But I was SO 'hungry for air' that I was taking those painful deep breaths and still not getting one.

The annoyance continued well into the evening. That's when I started yawning. Not like a couple times an hour.. But every 30 seconds for about 2 1/2 hours. And every single yawn was 'unsuccessful' in giving me that deep breath I was striving for.

I did some 'googling' to find some sort of remedy.. And all that did was freak me out. Obviously I was having my normal chest pain but I really don't think I was having an 'aortic dissection'. I calmed down and finally went to sleep and feel much better this morning. It was just so weird..

Wondering if any of y'all have experienced something similar? And if you have, what helped you??
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

yes i ge thtis regularly.

i have spoken to my rhuemy about this.

for me it is basically that my chest muscles are inflamed.
    this inflamation stops me from breathing properly.
    i am as you said "hungry for air".

the advise my rhuemy had for me was:
    to stop what i am doing...
    calm down.....
    take 5 or 6 long slow deap breaths.
    breathing all the way in, and out.
    breathing out is as important as breathing in.

this will increase the oxygen concentration in your breathe.

i still get the yawns.
    but i do not worry about them any more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (02-02-2012)

Thanks

The yawning is your bodies way of taking care of business, since you can't breathe.
    I have asthma and when I have a cough, I have noticed that I yawn ALOT. It is vital for the lungs to get the air they need.
    You should have this breathing problem checked asap.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Holy cow - I get this too sometimes...it's so weird. Never in a million years would I have thought to connect it to autoimmune stuff, but it makes sense - the inflammation and also, for me, probably when the APS is making my blood really think and sludgy and not circulate well. I have noticed that deep breathing seems to help slow it down, if not eliminate it.

Huh - ya learn something new every day!!!!! Thanks, folks!!!!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Yep, me too. It usually happens to me when I'm having a bout of pleuresy or bad costochondritis.

Steve's remedy is pretty much the same as mine, and it does help.

Thanks

Yup, I'm having a bad time with some costo and possible pleurisy. Makes sense!! Thanks!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

I'm sorry but when I saw this thread I started laughing(before I read the thread:~}) just cause when I was taking a lot of prednisone I would yawn all the time. sometimes it would be kinda embareassing when you are talking to somebody or lectureing a class and you cant stop yawning. Thank God I am off of that horrible stuff:~}
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

I thought I heard too that yawning is the body's way of saying your brain needs more oxygen (not sure if its true). But maybe your lungs are just barely getting enough and there isn't much left over for the brain so...your brain is like...."yo, yawn time, give it to me!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larette For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (02-06-2012)

Thanks

...or maybe people with lupus are just uncommonly intelligent and interesting, and the rest of the world just doesn't measure up....yeeeah, I think I will choose to believe that explanation..... ; - }

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

steve.b (02-04-2012), tripLexie (02-06-2012), Trish91171 (02-04-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    ...or maybe people with lupus are just uncommonly intelligent and interesting, and the rest of the world just doesn't measure up....yeeeah, I think I will choose to believe that explanation..... ; - }
    i just had to repeat your comment......
    thank you

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-04-2012)