Thread: hello everyone!

Thanks

Default hello everyone!

hi! i'm 30 y/o, a pediatric nurse practitioner, a mommy, and now....a lupie! as many of you have said, looking back it now all makes sense. fatigue, joint pain, ulcers, photosensitivity....after 2 years of recurrent pericarditis, and a prolonged fever, we finally ordered the proper tests and found the SLE answer. wow! so relieved, and so scared at the same time. as a nurse, i've only seen the worst of the worst. not much experience with people thriving despite lupus. so glad to see that you all are here!!!! currently feeling lots of fatigue, and joint pain. try so hard to go through the motions every day, it's so hard! everything hurts. i fall asleep at work! and i have to go - my husband isn't working, my patients call my office wanting to know where i am, my daughter needs this and that. i feel so overwhelmed sometimes! i feel like as soon as i get a handle on one thing, 5 others pop up all demanding immediate attention. i'm taking prednisone for the pericarditis, plaquenil and daypro (which give me terrible GI side effects), digoxin and toprol for my arrhythmia. any advice/support on how to better pace myself would be greatly appreciated? also, anyone else going through the recurrent/chronic pericarditis issues? seems like as soon as i think it may be gone, it come back faster and more furious than ever.
    thank you in advance for your time! healthy happy wishes to you all!!!!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good self-care is essential to managing lupus. Learn to recognize your body's warning signs. Warning signs may include increased fatigue, joint pain, rash, or fever. When you notice any of these signs, take steps to control your symptoms.
    Stress may trigger lupus symptoms. TRy to keep your stress level as low as you can. Keep your daily schedule as simple as possible. Keep your list of obligations to others to a bare minimum. Delegate to others.
    Exercise regularly. A daily walk, for example, can reduce stress, clear your head, improve your mood, and help fight fatigue. Use relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, and guided imagery to calm your body and mind.

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of lupus. To fight fatigue:
    Allow yourself to get plenty of rest - try to make time for recuperative rest periods throughout the day. Do not feel guilty for doing this, you not only deserve it..it is essential to your health that you do it. Some people with lupus need up to 12 hours of sleep every night. Pace yourself. Limit tiring activities. Ask others for help. Don't try to do everything yourself.
    Take short breaks from your usual daily activities. Consider cutting down on work hours or getting help with parenting responsibilities, at least during periods when lupus symptoms are severe.
    Exercise regularly. Physical activity boosts energy and helps you stay in good condition and helps to boost your immune system. Walking and swimming are good forms of exercise for people with lupus.
    If you are feeling depressed, it may be contributing to your fatigue. Get prompt treatment from your doctor, a mental health professional, or both.

A healthy lifestyle not only improves your quality of life but may also reduce your chances of having more frequent and severe flares. Good self-care includes:
    Regular exercise.
    Education about lupus and self-care.
    Not smoking.
    Eating a healthful, balanced diet.
    Avoiding exposure to infections, such as colds or the flu, which can cause flares. Talk to your health professional about influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations. If you do get sick, treat the infection promptly and completely. 4
    Regular dental care.
    Regular eye examinations by an ophthalmologist.
    Developing a support system of family, friends, and health professionals.

I hope that I've answered your question
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

thank you so much! the info is so helpful and much appreciated!