Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epstein Barr/Lupus connection...?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desleywr View Post
    Hey Rob what is your opinion on these pain easing Tens machines?
    the machinr you can buy....
    is a smaller version of what physio centres use.

i was reccommended to try one by my physio at the time.

the one i use offers a trial period, and a refund period.
    cheaper ones do not always offer both.

i origonally purchased mine for my wife she has planter faceitus(sp)
    but i use it way more than she does.

Thanks

Hey there... just wanted to say I totally get where you are coming from about being upset that your mom has somewhat believed in or sided with this doctor of hers. I think you should probably just give her time to come around a realize that if it were as easy as this doctor is making it sound - EVERYONE would be doing it! My dad used to believe that there is undoubtedly a natural cure to just about everything out there. He has a somewhat of a legitimate reason for thinking this way though... basically 25 years ago he tested "positive" for hepatitis C after he was involved in breaking up a fight between his friends and some strangers and he was punched in the face by a guy who was bleeding and they had blood to blood contact. 25 years later the doctors show that he has been "exposed" to hepatitis C but there is no indication that he actually has it. He seems to believe that through the natural remedies he tried, his body overcame it. I personally think that 25 years ago we did not have the technology that we have today so I am not convinced that they could tell the difference between being exposed and actually having it.

Anyway - that was a long and drawn out way of saying that sometimes people have reason to believe certain things and just need time to realize that what may have worked for others in treatment doesn't mean it will work for you. I believe that you should definitely give any natural supplements that could help you feel better a shot if your established doctors okay them... usually they can't really hurt you. Let your mom see that while maybe it can make you feel slightly better, that it is not a "cure"... I think she will side with you at the end of the day. Most parents do not want to think their children have something incurable, so she is probably just secretly wishing that this would cure you. Heck, there isn't a day that passes that I wish there was a cure... so I can kind of see where she is coming from.

Hang in there and remember that all you have to accomplish is what is in front of you today - even if that means laying in bed all day because you feel crummy... but don't let what others think or say or preach or teach affect your mood. All we have control over is how our minds feel and how we let others affect us... when we give up that power we give up our ability to laugh and enjoy life. I hope this helps Oh and P.S. we were given this disease because we are strong enough to handle it while still living life and having a positive impact on the world...
    Don't wait. The time will never be just right.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SBW8 View Post
    Hey there... just wanted to say I totally get where you are coming from about being upset that your mom has somewhat believed in or sided with this doctor of hers. I think you should probably just give her time to come around a realize that if it were as easy as this doctor is making it sound - EVERYONE would be doing it! My dad used to believe that there is undoubtedly a natural cure to just about everything out there. He has a somewhat of a legitimate reason for thinking this way though... basically 25 years ago he tested "positive" for hepatitis C after he was involved in breaking up a fight between his friends and some strangers and he was punched in the face by a guy who was bleeding and they had blood to blood contact. 25 years later the doctors show that he has been "exposed" to hepatitis C but there is no indication that he actually has it. He seems to believe that through the natural remedies he tried, his body overcame it. I personally think that 25 years ago we did not have the technology that we have today so I am not convinced that they could tell the difference between being exposed and actually having it.

Anyway - that was a long and drawn out way of saying that sometimes people have reason to believe certain things and just need time to realize that what may have worked for others in treatment doesn't mean it will work for you. I believe that you should definitely give any natural supplements that could help you feel better a shot if your established doctors okay them... usually they can't really hurt you. Let your mom see that while maybe it can make you feel slightly better, that it is not a "cure"... I think she will side with you at the end of the day. Most parents do not want to think their children have something incurable, so she is probably just secretly wishing that this would cure you. Heck, there isn't a day that passes that I wish there was a cure... so I can kind of see where she is coming from.

Hang in there and remember that all you have to accomplish is what is in front of you today - even if that means laying in bed all day because you feel crummy... but don't let what others think or say or preach or teach affect your mood. All we have control over is how our minds feel and how we let others affect us... when we give up that power we give up our ability to laugh and enjoy life. I hope this helps Oh and P.S. we were given this disease because we are strong enough to handle it while still living life and having a positive impact on the world...
    Let me clarify something. The comment " I believe that you should definitely give any natural supplements that could help you feel better a shot if your established doctors okay them... usually they can't really hurt you." is completely untrue and can lead to major flares and even death. Just because something is natural does not mean that it will mix well with our medicines or even our disease. Sunlight is natural but it harms me greatly. Alfalfa is simply a natural food although even the Lupus Foundation of America tell us not to eat it because it can harm us.

The idea that something natural can't really harm us has caused more than one person to flare and others to die. Talk to your doctor before adding ANY kind of natural remedies.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Serenity81 (02-04-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

We have gone round and round here on the subject of so-called natural treatments. The WHL policy on this subject is specific, and clear-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...anned-From-WHL

It's every member's responsibility to familiarize themselves with the rules of this forum. I would ask all members to review these rules, and
    please abide by them.

Any further advocacy of so called natural treatments, or the posting of links to these products, will result in an infractions being given.

This thread is closed.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 02-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (02-02-2012), tgal (02-02-2012)