Thread: Cystoscope Tomorrow

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Cystoscope Tomorrow

Tomorrow I have to go in for a Cystoscope at the Urologist's office. I don't remember if I told you guys about the kidney stone I had to have removed a while back. I have been off and on bleeding in my urine and the Dr. is trying to find out what is going on. I may be trying to pass another stone, but have not had much pain, or it might be something more serious. I am scared and scared of the procedure tomorrow. Don't know if I will get painkillers for this procedure, if it will hurt or what? After the terrific pain of the kidney stone a couple of years ago I am petrified If any of you out there have had this procedure done or know anything about it painwise, or if you had meds for it, please let me know? All I know is that they look at the urinary tract and see if things appear normal, or not.

Thanks

Well - I don't know if you are male or female - that probably makes a big difference. I can only speak from the female perspective....

I had one many years ago....I don't know how (or if) things have changed. I had to drink a TON of water, and NOT PEE...that was the worst part. i swear, I thought I was just going to explode, or pee like a fire hose all over the exam table, LOL...but remember they do this stuff all day every day, so even though it seems really weird to you, this is their job.

They did give me some pain killers and numbing gel in the "nether regions", but it was still pretty uncomfortable. They were very patient, and kind, and to some extent they distracted me by turning the screen so I could see what they were seeing - it was weird and interesting, and did keep my mind off the discomfort somewhat.

The only real PAIN I had was afterward, when the numbing stuff wore off and then it felt like a UTI...burned a lot. But that was just irritation from the scope. If I recall correctly, they had me on some preventative antibiotics for a while, just because the urinary tract does get pretty irritated. But that all went away in a couple of days.

It' definitely not something I would care to repeat, but it's not horrible. Worse than a pap smear, worse than a mammogram, but not as bad as a root canal.

Hope that helps.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Please let us know how it goes. My thoughts would be with you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I hope it is as painless as possible for you. Let us know, how you're doing.
    Thinking about you.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sleepy, I am definitely a female and thanks for letting me know what it was like for you. I did look it up on the internet, but that really scared me. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Will see how it goes tomorrow!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrinkofWtr For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (01-31-2012)

Thanks

I remember when they did this test on my daughter when she was four years old (She's 27 now). It was no fun with a squirming pre-schooler, but I remember looking at the screen and seeing the urine refluxing. That was also when we were able to see that her ureter was way too long and attached into the bladder in the wrong place.
    As I recall, the test was about the same for Kayla as Sleepy described.
    Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I missed my appointment today because of a long wait at road construction I didn't know about. Will have to reschedule in the future.

Thanks

DOW,
    Please get it taken care of soon. You don't want to have kidney damage if you don't reschedule soon.
    After going through Kayla's stuff, I'm worried about you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

DrinkofWtr (02-03-2012)