Thread: Yoga

Thanks

Thumbs up Yoga

So, I went to a Restorative Yoga class the other night. This is the first time I have exercised in quite a few months besides some infrequent, short walking trips. This is mostly due to the fact that we didn't know what was wrong with me at first and I didn't want to exercise and "do more damage" if it turned out to be something of that nature.

Anyway, the class was VERY simple, easy yoga that utilized a great deal of props; blocks, blankets, bolsters, etc.
    It was difficult and painful. I was so surprised at how weak my muscles had become. It took me a long time to move from one pose the the next and during a couple poses, I cried. I was just so sad for my poor body. It just doesn't know what hit it.
    I used to do Bikram's yoga. I used to be SO powerful and strong and flexible; so capable.

But I will say that it wasn't DIScouraging at all, it was very ENcouraging. The next morning I felt just a little less stiff when getting out of bed.

Will continue to try to go as much as I am able.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

One of the most important things that we can do for our bodies, with this disease, is some form of regular exercise. Because of the non-strenuous nature of Yoga, it is on the top of the list of exercises suggested for us (along with swimming, Pilates, walking). Regular exercise actually helps to alleviate some of our symptoms. I am always amazed at how much better I feel and how more energy I have after exercising.
    I am so happy that you were encouraged and I do hope that you continue to exercise....we are all cheering you on.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm with Susie on this; I do feel a lot better when I'm able to exercise. My favorite tape was David Carradine's Ti Chi, but my balance got to be so bad I could no longer do it. Now I do stretching and reaching exercises and riding my stationary bike. That way I'm not stuck in the middle of nowhere.

As I've often said before; we need to think and be health in our attitudes.
    I know mine stinks at the moment but I'll always encourage anyone who can get in gear and exercise.
    Good Luck!!!
    Enjoy the good feelings of accomplishment

Thanks

Hello all,

I haven't worked out in a good amount of time and two days ago I did a very simple and basic yoga tape at home. It was so painful and upsetting.. I used to do yoga 2-3 times a week and the only time I have felt this sore was following a yoga retreat weekend that was geared towards yoga instructors. I know that exercise is very beneficial, but I'm still in a considerable amount of pain from the yoga I did two days ago. Have you continued with your yoga practice? Has it gotten any easier?

Namaste
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to practice Yoga and was very flexible, strong, and had mental clarity. I had to give it up because of the pain element. I commend those of you who are still committed to the practice of it.