Thread: Fluorescent lighting and rashes

Thanks

Lightbulb Fluorescent lighting and rashes

I've begin to notice some rashes that I only see while I'm at work. (In the sun as well, but considering the winter conditions I've stayed indoors pretty consistently)

My face used to get very flushed as if I was running a fever or very overheated, though I was never 'hot', or running a fever. My face felt hot, but I myself, was not. Then some scaliness started to present. Now I try to wear enough makeup to conceal it but it seems to be irritating it and just drying it out, which makes it even more visible.

I'm not sure if it's the malar rash, or just a rash from the photosensitivity, but here's a picture. (I do have SOME makeup on, but I think y'all can tell the diffrence between the two LOL)

photohhjj.jpg

PS, Any of you also have the bags/sunken in eyes like me? Mind you, I'm only 20 and I get about 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night. I hate them!!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

OOPS sorry to include that my office has two large fluorescent lights and I spend about 8 1/2 - 9 hours a day in there. My other symptoms always tend to be worse towards the afternoon too.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

There are so many different kinds of rashes that it really is hard to tell which is which. You should take pictures of all of them to give to your rhuemy but don't stress yourself over them. Actually, many people have photosensity issues that don't ever get a rash. For some people it just is about how it makes them feel. Except for the malar rash (which not everyone has) not all of us have the same kind of rashes (heck, some people get no rashes).

Seriously, try not to stress over which is which. Just take pictures for the doctor, along with your symptom journal, so he/she has a good idea of what you are going through. Remember that we are not doctors here and we can't diagnose what anyone has or what type of rash is what. All we can do is share our collective experiences with each other so we can get through this a bit easier
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I want to add something though... if you are feeling worse under the lights and you have burning skin you may want to make sure that your office has UV protected bulbs. If you are on a computer all day you need to know that they put out UV rays as well. You can request a UV blocking screen from your HR dept. When I was working I found that it helped quite a bit!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-30-2012), tripLexie (01-30-2012)

Thanks

Yeah I guess it doesn't make any difference which rash it is. But yes, I do generally feel worse under them. And I've taken the time to look myself and they are not UV protected. From what I've researched they are the bulbs with the highest amount of UV in them (I went and looked at a box in storage of the brand and description and such). So yeah I'm thinking I'm gonna get floor lamp or two and also the screen for my computer.
    -Robert Eliot

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You should also know that we must avoid flourescent lighting just as much as we must avoid exposure to the sun. For many, like you,exposure to flourescent lighting can cause flare ups just as severe as exposure to the sun. For many, the flareups reveal themselves as skin rashes (as well as joint and muscle pain, extreme fatigue, and overall malais, etc.).
    As Tgal suggested, think about asking your employer to provide you withan alternative to the flourescunt lighting as weel as a screen protector for your computer. I wish you the very best and again.....welcome to our family.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-30-2012)