Thread: I may be joining you....

Thanks

Default I may be joining you....

I am waiting for my first appointment with a rheumatologist. I developed a rash that I thought was ringworm since we had just adopted a kitten but it spread and I finally sought care. Two biopsies and labs are suggestive of lupus. Though the biopsies were pretty inconclusive. In looking and reading about Lupus, I have had symtoms all my life but never severe and never needing treatment until now. Like some posts I have read, I am still hoping that this rash is something else but am trying not to get my hopes up. I go from being certain that it isn't to be certain that it is.

My rash is the most attention-demanding symptom at this point. I have gotten relief from a steroid cream, but am unable to use it on my face and am wondering from those that have experience.....does it clear on its own ever? Many of the early lesions I developed early on my chest and back are nearly gone, but the ones on my face (untreated) continue and new ones seem to be starting.

Thanks for any advice.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL! The good news, if there is any, is that the one you describe sounds much like Discoid Lupus and will only affect the skin. It will take changes on your part and isn't easy but there is little long term health affects since discoid doesn't affect the organs.

You should ( I say should because sometimes it takes much much longer) get more answers when you see the rhuemy. Either way... Welcome to out WHL family. I look forward to getting to know you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

wowthird (02-04-2012)

Thanks

Urgent take some pictures of your rashes, as they may not be there when you go to the Dr. By having pictures it will help the diag. Anything at is not normal take a picture. Welcome! Reading the threads is the best place to get answers. Hope things go well for you! Talk again!
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Desleywr For This Useful Post:

wowthird (02-04-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

having an actual confirmed diagnosis is NOT a prerequisit to join.

i am sorry you are going through this mess.
    but glad you have found us.

welcome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

wowthird (02-04-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the kind welcome and for the suggestion to take some pictures. I hope to get in to see the Dr. pretty quickly, next week or the week after, but I'd love to only have pictures and not an actual rash by then!

My Dermatologist suspects SLE rather than Discoid, though I am not sure why. My dh is a Chiro, so he requested my labs to be able to get a full picture rather than just the second-hand suggestion from the nurse that called telling me to see a rheumy. My ANA is pretty high at 1:2500 or so up from 1:670 in 2007, so maybe that is why she thinks SLE? I also have Reynauds, hair loss, and light sensitivity but have had these issues for a while.

My daughter has JRA, so it is certainly understandable that I am at risk for some type of AI issues.

Thanks

Hello! I am back with an update. I saw the rheumatologist who ordered more tests and have been back for the results. She diagnosed me with Cutaneous Lupus with a secondary diagnosis of Sjogren's. She prescribed Plaquenil which I have taken for three days. I was quite relieved to not have SLE and also glad to have some answers. I was kind of afraid of what it might be if it WEREN't Lupus. I have been reading the forum for insight and hope to get back to feeling myself (mostly) soon. I have, in the meantime, injured my back so that is what is currently causing me the most stress. My hubby is a chiro, so I expect to feel better relatively quickly.

Off to study up on my diagnosis and Plaquenil. Thanks for your kind welcome and wise words!