Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Nerve' pain?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Rob,
    Yes, it causes giggles at night. My leg will spasm so hard that Jeff feels it. Then I hear him say "Wait for it..." When I start scratching, he says "I knew it." That's when I have a fit of giggles.
    Sometimes, you just have to laugh......
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Most of mine happen in the area between my shoulderblades where I can't reach. Karen will ask "is it the right blade itch, one inch below the big freckle?" I say Yep...

Scratch away my dear.

You definitely have to laugh!

Thanks

LOL - I get those itchies between the shoulderblades every night, too. Jeff got so tired of me asking him to scratch it, he gifted me with a bamboo back scratcher, which I keep on the headboard, next to my eye drops.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I get those sharp bursts of electricity too. I don't know what causes them either, but it's nice to know I'm (We're) not alone! Sometimes mine are followed by or along with a muscle spasm. They get bad enough at times that I have fallen because my leg hurt so bad or because I couldn't move it. It happened a few times when I was walking - which is why I'm a little afraid to drive now. I don't want to get hurt or hurt anyone else.

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty
    "Kindness is just love with its work boots on"...

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    Thanks

At least I know I'm not alone with the itches on the back that can't be reached. I get the electric shocks also. Rob has MS, I have PD

Thanks

I get them too. Electrical shocks and then pain, spasms. I was told it is neuropathy. I call it sucky--LOL. It was happening at night alot. Electrical shocks and spasms so bad that I would keep my poor husband awake. Our fix to this...a tempurpedic mattress...now he doesn't feel me and he can sleep all night.

Thanks

I just spoke to my rheumi last week about the same exact thing. I described it like an electrical shock. So bad it almost made me wreck my car. I had a really bad one that lasted for 4 days under my left arm pit. It would come and go. I actually caught myself holding my armpit on and off for days. My doc told me it is part of fibro and they call them zingers????????

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I just spoke to my rheumi last week about the same exact thing. I described it like an electrical shock. So bad it almost made me wreck my car. I had a really bad one that lasted for 4 days under my left arm pit. It would come and go. I actually caught myself holding my armpit on and off for days. My doc told me it is part of fibro and they call them zingers????????
    I will tell you that these are things we hear of often but I will also say I just did a search and while I saw individuals calling them "zingers" I didn't see anything of a concrete nature with that name. I am not saying that your doctor is wrong but I am saying you might want to make sure that the symptom isn't just dismissed because, in his mind, it is "a zinger"
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Tgal, I couln't agree more. I am just telling you what she said to me. I felt the same way you responded. I feel like when they don't have an answer they just come up with something. She never even touched my under arm to feel if there was anything wrong. I find it so strange that doctors never touch you. All my rhuemi ever does is look at my hands and ask questions. She does listen with her tethescope, but thats all. They don't even take my temperature. I just don't understand that. If you have pains don't you think your doctor would want to look at certain parts of your body or even to feel that area? So confusing to me. Oh well, I am guessing thats normal. I just wish I new of a good rheumi and neurologist in St. Louis. Someone that specializes in Lupus and Lupus with CNS involvement. My rheumi says I need to deal with my Neurologist and my Neurologist says I need to deal with my Rheumi???

Thanks

Ronnie,
    I have the same frustration with my current rheumy. I had a fantastic one in San Antonio. She insisted that I come in every 4-6 weeks for a quick blood draw because I was on methotrexate. Even that short visit was started with a weigh-in, temperature-taking and a blood pressure check. Every 3 months, I was seen and really checked over by either the rheumy herself or her para-medic. They always had me to fill out a questionnaire, checked over my whole body, and asked lots of questions.

We've moved to CA, and the rheumy I have now sounds like yours. She only requests blood work once a year. She only sees me twice a year, and when she does, she doesn't even examine me. She just refills my prescriptions and writes referrals and then walks out. I'm frustrated that my insurance pays her so much for those few minutes. A decent PCP, if I could find one, could do that much! I haven't had weight, temp & blood pressure taken at a doctor's office since we moved here in Sept. 2009. My hubby is convinced that most rheumys are just in it for the nice, cushy job of "taking care" of little old people with arthritis, and when we present them with a challenging case of autoimmune disease, they simply don't want to deal with us.

Because I have a chronic disease, my insurance has a nurse call me and follow up on me. She's been exasperated when I don't have any stats to give her, so she urged me to keep track of my BP myself, so I give it a quick check every time I go to the drug store. Isn't that ridiculous? I have to keep track of my health myself, and a nurse on the telephone is more concerned than my rheumy!

BTW - I grew up near St. Louis - across the river in Hartford, Ill. My hubby and I graduated from St. Louis University, and my first teaching job was in Florissant.
    I haven't lived there since 1981, so I can't help you on the docs. We used to have a member here who found some good ones at Washington Univ, I think.
    Good luck,
    Marla

Thanks

Thank you so much Marla. I guess I always thought that is all they are supposed to do as rheumi's. I guess maybe I should find another doc. I just wish I could get a good referral. I hate going from doc to doc. Thanks again for your reply.