Thread: 'Nerve' pain?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question 'Nerve' pain?

Hello all.

I was wondering if anybody else experiences this symptom.

They're sort of 'electrial' feeling.. Random bursts of shooting pain that can be localized to virtually ANYWHERE on my body- from head to toe. Very brief, only lasting about 10 seconds. Sometimes they can cause me to wince, sometimes it's just an overwhelming annoyance that goes away very quickly. It's throbbing and very sharp in nature. I have yet to connect anything regarding the area of my body it occurs most frequently.. Nor have I figured out a certian time period they happen most commonly.

Anyone ever have something similar?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi tripLexie,

I get this same kind of pain frequently. What I experience is neuropathic (nerve) pain that is a result of peripheral neuropathy caused mostly by Multiple Sclerosis, and partly from the effects of Lupus on my central nervous system. Peripheral neuropathy and other neurological problems are fairly common in people with Lupus.

If the pain you are experiencing is indeed neurological in nature, there are meds available to treat it. Have you ever spoken to a Neurologist about these symtoms?

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 01-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks

No, I haven't. Over the years I've mentioned it to a PCP but it was written off as a 'no big deal'. I'm in a new area and searching for a repuatable new PCP as well as a rheumy and I'm hoping my symptoms (especially this one, along with some ongoing chest pain) will be taken more seriously. Thanks for the info!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tripLexie View Post
    I'm in a new area and searching for a repuatable new PCP as well as a rheumy and I'm hoping my symptoms (especially this one, along with some ongoing chest pain) will be taken more seriously.
    I think any woman packing an AR-15, and an AK-47, ought to be taken seriously! (insert smiley face)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-24-2012)

Thanks

Yup I get those too. i have absolutely no clue what causes them, so I am not very helpful, but wanted you to know you have company.

They haven't been frequent/bad enough for me to seek medical attention for them - plus, they're so hard to pinpoint and describe. 'Random shooting pains" doesn't give a doc much to go on, I guess. For me, they tend to come in groups - I'll have several in different places over the course of a couple weeks, then I won't have any for several weeks. I usually don't have more than 2-5 a day (but not every day), and they only last maybe 10-20 seconds, if that. No muscle cramps or anything with them.

I also get shooting/stabbing pain headaches sometimes, but that's different - always in the same place, and usually preface to a migraine sometime in the next few days. Those COMPLETELY SUCK, and just about knock me over. But my neuro knows about those. He can't tell me much about them, LOL - but at least he knows. : - P

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-24-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I used to get them really badly but they are not as bad now. I noticed that my TGN med actually lowered the amount of the "shocks" that I got elsewhere. I do understand what you are talking about though
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-24-2012)

Thanks

I get those sharp bursts of electricity too. I don't know what causes them either, but it's nice to know I'm (We're) not alone! Sometimes mine are followed by or along with a muscle spasm. They get bad enough at times that I have fallen because my leg hurt so bad or because I couldn't move it. It happened a few times when I was walking - which is why I'm a little afraid to drive now. I don't want to get hurt or hurt anyone else.

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty
    "Kindness is just love with its work boots on"...

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    Thanks

At least I know I'm not alone with the itches on the back that can't be reached. I get the electric shocks also. Rob has MS, I have PD