Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain in leg, please read!

Thanks

Default Pain in leg, please read!

Good morning y'all! I was wondering if anyone has dealt with the pain I am having. I have pain in the back of my leg from my booty straight down my leg in to my akelies tendon. It is so painful and sharp. I have taken Advil with out any relief. Could this be a nerve? If any one has experienced this, do tell! What did you do for it and how long did it last? Thank you! Jaime

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus has a lot of weird aches and pains, I get that too, not exactly but yea that happens. Make sure your driving tons of water and less caffeine because that might help. Try also sit in a chair and sit up straight, take your right ankle and place it on top of your left knee and then lean forward but not too much to hurt yourself. Then switch legs, this has helped with those nerve pains and stuff and I found myself having less of those type of shooting pains. Hope this helps.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Bea View Post
    Good morning y'all! I was wondering if anyone has dealt with the pain I am having. I have pain in the back of my leg from my booty straight down my leg in to my akelies tendon. It is so painful and sharp. I have taken Advil with out any relief. Could this be a nerve? If any one has experienced this, do tell! What did you do for it and how long did it last? Thank you! Jaime
    Hi Jaime,

We have another member here who started a thread just today about this same kind of pain.

Here's a link if you want to have a look, and maybe compare notes-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...313-Nerve-pain

Central Nervous System problems are fairly common in people with Lupus.

You may want to talk to your PCP or Rheumo about it and see if they
    think a referral to a Neurologist is in order.

Rob

Thanks

Thanks y'all! I do have a neuropathy concerning heart and lungs. I found out years ago and haven't been back to the Neurologist sense my Lupus diag. I also have really bad brain fog at times and feel confused, I even got lost while driving to pick up my son! I guess this could all be related. I will talk to my Rheumi and see if I should go visit a neurologist concerning these issues! Thanks for the advice! ;-)

Thanks

Hi Jaime,
    I have the same sort of problems. I have pain, spasms and very tight muscles in both calf muscles and in the quads and hamstrings behind my legs.
    It is very painful, and very debilitating. Driving is very scary when you never know when the leg is going to spasm.
    Good luck with the neuro.
    Hugs,
    Marla

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

NaturalMystic (01-26-2012), Saysusie (01-25-2012)

Thanks

Hi Jamie
    I am currently seeing my neuro for leg pain 3yrs, and loss of feeling recently and now loss of taste and smell, etcetc.
    When I get the leg pain I take pain killers and they work to an extent but I use a long heat pack and I find this gives immediate relief. I also find that for leg and feet cramps amd spasms the heat pack on the sole of my feet helps.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just a quick thought...I know you are going to see the neuro to find out if this may be the issue with you pain and spasms. I do hope that you get an answer as well as an appropriate treatment.

I just wanted to throw this out to everyone...my rheumy suggested that, when self-medicating, we should remember that Lupus is a disease of inflammation. When we purchase and/or use OTC pain medication, remember to use one that relieves inflammation (such as ibuprofen). If I am correct, Advil is an acetaminophen and does nothing for inflammation. If the inflammation is treated, often times the pain also subsided.
    Of course, this may stand true for all of our aches and pains, but it is just something to consider when we are trying to treat ourselves with otc medications!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (01-25-2012), NaturalMystic (01-26-2012), steve.b (01-25-2012), tgal (01-25-2012)

Thanks

SaySusie,
    It makes sense that our goal should be to reduce inflammation. I think that Aleve (naproxen) does that - I'll have to run it by the chemistry expert when he gets home.
    It does seem to be the only OTC drug that helps me a bit.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Just a short warning I have been told because I am on antiplaitlet drug (Plavix, like warfrin and aspirin) I need to be careful with anti inflamitary drugs. So before self medication at least check with your chemist or dr as Plavix was developed to reduce clots and can be combined with aspirin for an even better effect but when I was first put on it in 1999 by one of the drs who developed it prof Hatam Salam he made a point not to take antiimflamitory. This may have changed with further research but I do say check it out before self medicating.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desleywr For This Useful Post:

steve.b (01-25-2012)

Thanks

Uh oh....I take a daily aspirin for APS - I hope that doesn't mean I can't take Ibuprofen - because I DO!!! :-P

Just FYI for folks,
    Tylenol = acetaminophen
    Aleve = naproxin sodium
    Advil/Motrin = ibuprofen

Of those, I believe naproxin and ibuprofen are anti-inflammatories....acetaminophen works differently - it relieves fever, but acts against pain by basically raising the pain threshold. It is not terribly effective as an anti-inflammatory.

Ibuprofen tends to be good with muscle cramps, and naproxin is long-lasting - up to 12 hours. It gives me bad dreams, though - weird.

Of course everyone reacts a little differently to things, but be sure that you are not mixing up brand names and chemical names, and do check for interactions with anything else you are taking.

Also, most NSAIDS react badly with alcohol - they can be very hard on the liver and stomach. Tylenol/acetaminophen particularly can be terribly dangerous for your liver if you drink, or if you overdose on it. The margins for safe dosage are very narrow, so follow directions and timing carefully.

(My sister in law is a nurse, by the way - can ya tell?! LOL....)