Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breathing issues

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kwolfsheimer View Post
    I just wanted to say that I am going through the very same issues. It happened last year in November-- an inability to catch my breath and a burning sensation in my chest. Took prednisone, antiobiotics. Nothing. Then it just went away by January. I would walk out to the parking lot and would be gasping.

This year it started up in November but hasn't gone away. It seems to be worse actually sitting or lying flat. I did all of the above. Tried steroid and albuterol inhalers. Nothing-- and it's getting worse. They took a chest x-ray-- didn't show anything. Had a stress test and echocardiogram since I had so many risk factors of heart disease. Nothing. I am getting so tired from trying to breathe that my ribcage and muscles are actually hurting now. I am taking large doses of Advil-- helps some, just to make it through the day. I come home from work and go straight to bed.

My general doc has said that it might be tietzes sydrome or costochondritis. My SED rates are good; however,my hand joint pain is through the roof! I have an emergency appt with my rheumy on Wednesday. I'll share any info that I have.
    The fact that the steroids didn't work may be a sign that it is not Lupus related. Some docs actual give steroids as a test for AI diseases because they help the majority of the time.

Thanks for the info your doc gave you! That is very helpful
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    The fact that the steroids didn't work may be a sign that it is not Lupus related. Some docs actual give steroids as a test for AI diseases because they help the majority of the time.

Thanks for the info your doc gave you! That is very helpful
    Steroids have never helped me with any inflammation-- and I'm not sure why. I used to take them for severe hip pain and for "rheumatoid arthritis", although I have never been officially diagnosed with such. They do make me like the energizer bunny so that's helpful. But I flush-- my face turns bright red, my heart races, and I feel altogether yucky. I sure could use a "magic bullet" though. Do you know if that would weed out plerisy from the list? I really don't think it's tietzes/costrochondritis-- that's my hunch. It's amazing to see so many people with this problem! If anybody gets a firm diagnosis, let me know what it is so I can compare notes!