Thread: Anyone else have trouble with weight loss?

Thanks

Default Anyone else have trouble with weight loss?

I have been dropping weight, as I do when my disease activity flares up, and I am down to 88 lbs (at 5'2", that's pretty slim). I make myself eat 3 squares plus snacks in between, but it doesn't seem to stop the downward spiral. It doesn't help that I have nausea all the time and the MTX I am on is really doing a number on my appetite. I am allergic to gluten and dairy so I've been avoiding those foods, and can't have refined sugar due to pancreatic insufficiency. Honestly, I am at a loss as to what to do. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? If so, what do you do?
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Thanks

Nope - I tend to have the opposite problem...but neither one is any fun.

I assume you've talked to your doc about this...?

This is gonna sound crazy, but I work with horses, and I know when one of them is eating lots of food but still can't keep weight on, it's often a mineral imbalance...often Selenium. Obviously, horses and humans are very different, but could it be something like that? Sounds like you are eating normally....but for some reason your body is not able to absorb the food. I don't know what sorts of things causes that in humans.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It must make you even more fatigued, on top of the Lupus stuff. :-(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-19-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Weight loss is often a Lupus issue (although I too have the opposite problem). You really do need to talk to your doctor about this because it needs to be handled before it puts you in danger.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have the same problem when im on a flare, im still pretty petite even when im feeling good. im 5 foot i get it. I had trouble keeping weight on when in a flare, that was a big problem mostly because I was so nauseous and sick, I would try some weight bars(Idk what they are normally called but theyre high calorie high protein bars and that might help). When im sick like that my mother(im 20 btw) still makes forces me to drink those nutrient shakes(can find them by the vitamin isle in any super market) I think theyre called ensure or something like that. they are loaded with the nutrients you need so even if you it doesn't help with adding weight you still will get the everyday nutrients you need.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

chinadoll (01-19-2012)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I have been working with my doctor on this...actually, more than one. And though they try really hard, they mostly just scratch their heads and say my case is complicated. Most all we do is on a trial and error basis...and when we err, boy howdy do I suffer for that!! *sigh*

Sleepyinseattle, what you mentioned about not absorbing nutrients makes sense to me. Since I have pancreatic insufficiency along with allergy to gluten and dairy, nothing is processed normally and I am automatically unable to absorb what I need. I also have a genetic mutation that makes it difficult to process folates properly. Add all my other issues to the mix and...well...needless to say, my docs aren't too far off the mark when they say my case is complex (but aren't we all? Isn't lupus, in itself, a complex disease?). I don't know what to do other than eat nuts and stuff. I haven't found a supplemental drink like ensure that doesn't have dairy in it. It is so frustrating to read the labels, thinking I have found something I can have only to have to put it back because it has refined sugar or a milk protein or gluten in it. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them! I am going to look up selenium...I have heard of it but not sure what it is.

Anyway, thanks for listening. It's just that I got on the scale this morning and when it said 88 I sort of panicked...especially since I weighed in at 90 just a couple of days ago. I'm just so tired of "wasting away" and am looking for answers. :-(
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Thanks

BE CAREFUL with Selenium....too much is horribly toxic. You can get more than enough by eating a couple of Brazil nuts each day...for somebody as small as you, maybe even just one....but don't eat a lot more. My dad actually had some horrible effects from Selenium toxicity because he really likes Brazil nuts, and found them on sale, so he bought several bags and was eating about half a dozen a day....within a month or so he started getting sick!
    Info on Selenium here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?d...tname=nutrient
    Interestingly enough, taking prednisone can cause you to become deficient in selenium.

And again - I have NO idea if there's any crossover between horses and humans - our digestive systems are COMPLETELY different...I was just using that as an example, since I have seen it several times in horses over the years.

I do know that some people with Celiac (one of my clients has it) benefit from taking some Probiotics - helps them absorb nutrients even though their systems were damaged from gluten exposure. But I don't know if it would help with weight retention.

It is really hard to find things to try when your diet is restricted by food sensitivities. What about making smoothies with fatty vegetable items like avocados, or full-fat Tofu? Add flax oil to things, both for the calories and the Omega-3's? Macadamias and cashews are really fatty - dunno if you like those, or if they'd cause other issues - I know not all those fats are heart-healthy.

My 95-year-old grandmother is also struggling with keeping weight on, and they feed her stuff like that. Or they try to - her problem is that she just doesn't have any appetite any more, so they have to maximize the calories in what she WILL eat.

Best of luck to you....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

chinadoll (01-19-2012)