Thread: Seek emergency care? Calm down? Heart symptoms

Thanks

Exclamation Seek emergency care? Calm down? Heart symptoms

Hello again. I am at work (under the dreaded fluorescent lights) and I've been having flare-up like symptoms all week. Mainly, my ongoing, worsening, chest pain. I've had some pleuritic pain (left side) for quite some time now.. Very sharp and with every breath. Sometimes I feel the dull ache that spreads to the other side of my chest.

But this afternoon was a diffrent chest pain. I've had it before, but it was over a year ago (and strangly enough, yesterday I was trying to recall the symptoms of this sort of 'attack' I had) when I had another one today.

It's EXTREMELY breif. EXTREMELY sudden. Only lasts about 10 seconds or so. I was sitting at my desk and instantly jerked my hand to the center of my chest (almost in between my breasts, maybe a little bit higher). I became super dizzy and disoriented and the next 10 seconds were so clouded I literally cannot recall if my heartbeat irregularly fast or slowed - but I do know that the pressure in my chest and the loud pounding of my heart was definetly there. When these sypmtoms stopped, I of course still had my normal, sharp breathing pain with the pleurisy/costocondritis (whichever it is..) but I also have this pain in the center.. More dull and extremely achy. I also still feel like I'm not getting enough air, no matter how deep I breathe (despite the pain it gives me with the other symptom). My chest is also 'itchy' feeling and both sides are throbbing.

I meant breif in this post in order to recieve a quick reply (whoops) but have any of you felt this before? I don't know if I should relax and try to make it to PCP this week or head to the ER. It's not 'severe' right now but it is most def. interfering with my work. I don't think I can make it until 5. HELP!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am going to tell you the same thing I tell everyone that mentions heart, lung or brain issues. Get to the Doctor/ER ASAP. We don't mess around with those
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (01-19-2012), SleepyInSeattle (01-18-2012), tripLexie (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Mari is right, don't mess around with chest pain! Lupus increases your risk of several heart problems, including pericarditis, heart attack and pulmonary hypertension. Get thee to the MD or ER

Thanks

Hey TripLexie,
    I hope that you got to an ER or a doctor. Your chest pains sound rather scary to me. It's always a good thing to get this sort of thing checked out.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Update-

I stayed put at work a little longer and tried to calm down. The pain slowy decreased but I was short of breath for the rest of the day. I felt like I was getting deep enough breaths. I decided if I woke up and still felt the same, I would call into work and head to the ER.

But, I woke up and felt much better. Still sluggish in my breathing, but 10x better. Now I'm just back to my normal, less scary, symptoms. Thanks for everything everyone
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Sounds like you should still go see your doctor, better be safe than sorry. Im glad your feeling better!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mystiejm For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-20-2012)

Thanks

I agree, better to be safe than sorry! Sometimes we blow off the WRONG things! I found out that part of the reason i have dizziness and light headedness is because i have narrowing of my carotid arteries! I NEVER would have thought that would happen to me because even though im sick, i eat so good, exercise, meditate and stretch almost daily BUT with our diseases the inflamation causes these things to happen to us prematurely. SO GET IT CHECKED!!! Keep us informed!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lucky7 For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (01-23-2012)