Thread: 1.3 RNA and positive ANA?

Thanks

Default 1.3 RNP and positive ANA?

I know that ana could be in healthy people but what about rnp? What IS rnp and what does a higher than normal rnp tell me? I know it is connected with MCTD but that doesn't mean that's what I have does it? Thanks!
    Last edited by Maegan; 01-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks

I also had elevatedf RNP at last bloodwork. Suggests MCT as you say, but which one?? I had a mix up at the rheum - was told that other than the RNP everything was normal so no need to see her again. But then found out last month at PCP appt that I was supposed to go back after derm appt. Thinks I have psoriatic arthritis which she needed the psoriasis confirmed by the derm. Her office worker did not say I needed to come back; when I asked, she said "nope, you're good."

So longwinded way to say that I will be going back in Feb. and will ask more Q's about the RNP.

Thanks

Yeah its kind of annoying to not have answers. A normal range is up to .9 I think and mine was 1.3 so I guess that isn't too high but high enough to where it isn't normal. My other question is because I have both does that automatically mean I have an autoimmune disorder? Or is there other criteria that have to be met.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Maegan,

The answer to your question is no. There is no test that can be done to definitively say "you have an AI disease". There are test they do to rule out other things and there is some changes in blood test that often shows up in people with AI disease but they can also show up in people without them. Just because you have a test or two that people with AI diseases often have show up like yours does NOT mean you have an AI disease just like not having those tests show up that way means that you don't have an AI disease (hope that made sense).

Since there is no test for diagnosing Lupus what happens is the doctors look for at least 4 of the 11 criteria for diagnosing the disease and then rule out any other reasons for those symptoms/tests. I will post a link to the criteria below. Please remember though... even having 4 of these DOES NOT mean you have Lupus. It just means that it is an option if they can't find any other reason for the symptoms.

Criteria For Diagnosing Lupus

Hope this helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I def. Have more than 4 lol. So how do people even know if they have lupus and why do they do blood tests if they mean nothing anyway?
    Last edited by Maegan; 01-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maegan View Post
    I def. Have more than 4 lol. So how do people even know if they have lupus and why do they do blood tests if they mean nothing anyway?
    Tough question. That is why it often takes months, years and even decades for people to get a firm diagnosis. There are clues in the tests but basically Lupus is diagnosed when all the other reasons for the symptoms or test results have been ruled out. The tests are clues but it usually takes a long time (and a lot of fighting) for a lupus diagnosis. So many of our symptoms can be from other things that the doctors have to rule out all of the other things.

Also, Lupus is so different with each person that it can be very difficult to diagnose. I know you wanted a cut and dry "this is how you know" answer but, sadly, there isn't one.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Yeah that is a bummer. Everything I have read says a elevated rnp is mctd and nobody with an elevated rnp is "heathy". I know there is something going on and I guess its going to take some time to figure it out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maegan View Post
    Yeah that is a bummer. Everything I have read says a elevated rnp is mctd and nobody with an elevated rnp is "heathy". I know there is something going on and I guess its going to take some time to figure it out!
    That is exactly the problem! It means SOMETHING is wrong but finding out what takes time. I hope it is nothing too serious but, either way, we are here for you
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~