Thread: Myfortic vs Cellcept

Thanks

Default Myfortic vs Cellcept

Would like to find out if Myfortic is the same as Cellcept.
    I've been reading all the wonderful comments and benefits in this forum about Cellcept and was wondering if it applies for Myfortic.

Have also found this information on another previous post:
    http://wehavelupus.com/message-board...pic.php?t=1020

Myfortic is one of the generic names for Mycophenolic acid (trade names are Cellcept and Myfortic). This is an immunosuppressant (drugs that decrease the actions of the body's immune system). It is usually combined with cyclosporine (Sandimmune, Neoral) and a steroid medication (such as prednisone). People taking immunosuppressant medicines are at a greater risk of getting infections.

Treatment with Myfortic may increase your risk of infection and the development of lymphoma and other types of cancer. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop fever or chills, a sore throat, unusual bleeding or bruising, mouth sores, abdominal pain, pale stools, or darkened urine. These symptoms could be early signs of dangerous side effects.
    Am worried especially in the 2nd paragraph about how Myfortic increases the risk of infection and cancer. Does this happen with Cellcept also? If not, should I switch to Cellcept?

My urine seems to have darkened ever since I've started medication and I didn't think it was much of a concern. Have not brought this matter up to my doctor, but will do so at my next visit.

Thanks

Nyfortic and Cellcept contain the same ingredient -mycophenolic acid - in slightly different formulations. Myfortic is manufactured by Novartis, and it contains mycophenolate sodium in an enteric-coated (time-release) product, while Cellcept is manufactured by Roche, and contains mycophenolate mofetil. Myfortic is the same active drug as Cellcept, but it has been coated with a protective coating so that the drug dissolves in the small intestine rather than the stomach. The idea is that this would reduce the gastrointestinal side effects, like diarrhea and nausea. But in terms of other side effects and potential risks like infection, and development of cancer, there is no difference in safety between the two drugs.

If you are already taking myfortic, your doctor should have discussed these risks with you before you started taking the drug. It is a very powerful immune suppressant, and anytime your immune system is suppressed, you are at high risk for infection. There are precautions you can take to reduce your risk of infection, so this is something you really need to bring up with your doctor.

Thanks

Good luck with this - I've been on Cellcept for 3 years, and haven't had too much problems with infections. Actually, I've been healthier than I was pre-lupus dx (I mean with acute illness). I mean I"ve had a sinus infection and food poisoning while traveling, but I don't work with kids anymore, and stay home form work when I feel ill, and I don't share food or drink with others.

Good luck!
    Missy

Thanks

Default immunosuppressives-anti-flu

Yah, I never seem to get sick w/no immune system. I asked my doc @ Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ, and he said it was just one of those weird medical things. ... O...k

Thanks

Red face Currently On Myfortic

I've only been on Myfortic for two days, but I feel fine. I only have to take it twice a day instead of three times a day with the CellCept which was throwing off my eating habits. I guess it will take sometime to see how Myfortic turns out but as of now, I am 21 years old and my body is handling it without any problems, my stomach doesn't bother me anymore and I don't have nightmares like I did with the CellCept.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hi natalie,
    welcome to whl.
    i am glad you have found us.