Thread: Donating a kidney to my brother?

Thanks

Default Donating a kidney to my brother?

My brother had a kidney transplant a few years back (as far as I know, nothing to do with Lupus or any auto-immune disorder) and he received the kidney from my mum. I have always said that when the time comes around again for a re-transplant that I would like to step up to the mark and give him one of mine, if it is a good match and healthy etc etc.

I've been diagnosed with Hashi's and Lupus...as far as I am aware there is no current organ involvement, everything other than my joints and muscles seems totally unffected according to general blood work. So, if I can prevent lupus damaging my kidneys, do you think I'd still be able to donate?
    I'm 25 years old, also have familial high cholesterol and bipolar disorder which are treated with meds, along with thyroxin for hashi's and steroids for lupus. I don't sound like the greatest candidate do I? Hmm.

A bit of an odd one I know, but if anyone has any clues or ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Shine,
    Wow, you would be a brave person to do that for your brother with all of the health problems that you already have.
    I'm sure that only your doc is qualified to tell you if you would be able to do such a thing.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-07-2012), tgal (01-07-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope that you would still be able to donate your kidney to your brother. What a wonderful gift, both ways.
    I was told that, with Lupus, I could not even donate blood :-( Perhaps you can start researching/asking now so that you can get a definite answer, one way or the other.
    I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Shine,

This sort of question is way above my paygrade. It's definitely something to talk to your doc about.

It takes real guts to even consider doing this.

Rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I agree with those above. I admire your willingness to donate. What a wonderful sister you are! As Susie said, I can't even donate blood anymore but your doctor will have all of the answers for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i used to be on the organ doner list.
    i too cannot do that anymore.
    for me it is the medication, that stops me.

once you have been on the chemo style drugs,
    you cannot donate blood or body parts......
    as they are contaminated by the medication.

it is medication to us, but poison to others.

not being able to offer my body, once i die,
    was one of the hardest things about my desease for me.

for many years i made sure my family knew my intensions.
    now i will donate my body to medical research, or a coroners school.

Thanks

I agree with Steve - it is a good thing to donate our bodies to medical research, to help those who come after us.
    I have Spasmodic Dysphonia, and there is a research group for that which is requesting the brains of those of us who have it.
    It's a hard thing to think about, but it is good to help the next generation to not go through what we are going through.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I think its great that so many people do consider donating to medical research. It is still an odd concept and something hard to do, especially for family members who want to lay their loved one to rest. Organ and blood donation is something I've always been passionate about. I haven't been able to donate blood for a while because of meds I take for my various conditions, and it gutting...so I'm always the one encouraging friends and family to go get drained! I've always held a donor card, but not sure how much use that is anymore.

I'm guessing I won't be able to give my brother a kidney, but I want to find out for sure so I can tell him sooner rather than later that is going to hurt though, having to tell him that. I wrote him an email the other day explaining that I may not be able to, but I just couldn't send it.

Thanks

Awww, Shine you're a sweet sis.
    At least this gives him a head up to request that other family members get checked for compatibility and to get on a list for seeking a kidney from an unrelated donor.
    I'm sure that he will know that you will be right there to support him in other ways.
    Hugs,
    Marla