Thread: Next step in disability process: appointment with doctor TODAY!!

Thanks

Default Next step in disability process: appointment with doctor TODAY!!

Well, I applied for disability and they haven't denied me right away (I'm hoping that's a good sign!). But I did have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to help the Soc Sec Admin determine if I am disabled or not. There was a lady in the waiting room that said, "oh honey, you're sick, aren't you?" Not knowing quite what to say since I was there for a disability exam, I said, "well...yes, actually". She said, "Girl, you know I can SEE you are sick!" I hope the doctor's eyes are as good as hers! lol I am praying he could see that I simply cannot work and will report findings that will end up in a decision that awards me disability benefits.

Keep me in your prayers please!!!

I'm a "Nervous Nellie"

(((gentle hugs))),
    Kathie Lea
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Kathie,

I've been to that same appointment myself. The Doctor was one working for the SSA to verify that my own Dr. and Rheumo were correct in their diagnosis of SLE. It was quick and professional, and he said I had obvious physical signs, and that he would have the lab stuff done to make a final judgement.

There were a bunch of other hoops to jump through, but I was eventually approved for full disability benefits. I did have the help of my Dad, who is something of a legal wiz to help expedite the paperwork and get me on the fast track. But I would have been approved without his help, it just would have taken longer.

Everyone I dealt with from the SSA Dr. to the SSA Shrink were all very nice to deal with, and they were really helpful. The SSA guy who handled my claim was also very professional and told me up front that if SLE is verified, that I would be approved for full benefits.

Try not to worry too much. If the people you deal with are like the ones I dealt with, you won't have any problems. Just remember to dot all of the I's and cross all the T's on your paperwork, and show up early to all appointments.

If you're able to, let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 01-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

chinadoll (01-05-2012)

Thanks

Thank you, Rob!

I have been through this before (was on disability for 8 years when I found myself single with no way to live but to go back to work...yeah, it's a long story. *sigh*); but the first time I was awarded disability it took 3 appeals and a lawyer to get it. At that time, my first application was denied immediately. At least this time they called in a doc right away. He was VERY compassionate and professional, nodding from time to time as I was speaking as if he expected my answers. He even asked me halfway through if I was okay. I guess at 92 lbs I must look frail or something. lol

Anyway, labwork was done and I still have an xray to go. I'm really praying this gets approved. I really don't want to have to go through what I did before, only to have a judge take one look at me and pronounce in my favor as if he couldn't understand why I was denied in the first place!

Thanks again for your post...it was really helpful!

Kathie Lea

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

kathy,
    i am in australia and do not know the american system.

but if you were on disability before......
    cant you short cut the proccess?

dont you have most of the boxes ticked already?

Thanks

Good morning, Steve!

Yes, you would think that wouldn't you? But in America, you have to prove yourself over and over and over again. It's a shame. I realize that there are those that abuse the system, but it sure makes it hard for those of us that are truly suffering to get what we need. And I am not asking for a handout. I have paid my taxes for just such a time as this should I need the aid. My question is: how did those people that abuse the system even get approved when I have such a hard time?? Anyway, we will see how it goes. Going to get an xray done this morning.

Have a wonderful day!
    Kathie Lea

Kathie Lea

Thanks

Yes it is a messed up system. I hired an atty right after the first denial. When I finally got to the ALJ hearing, it took all of 8mins or so and the judge asked their doc why I was even there. They granted me back to last day of work instead of the application day and with a 3 yr re-eval. I was nervous going into the hearing as the one before me was 1.5hrs long. Yes it is soooo wrong that the abusers can get it easily but those of us who desperately need it have the debilitating stress to get it.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth