Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Thanks

Default Insomnia

Hey guys,

I hope all is well with you all (or @ least manageable). I have a question. I am on several medications, and some of them cause insomnia. I am currently on prednisone (60mg/day), plaquenil (400mg/day), iron (975 mg/day), 1 multi-vitamin, norvasc (10mg/day), desonide topical cream, cytoxan (IV), Tramadol (50-100mg/day as needed), and prilosec. I was on solu medrol through IV but stopped it last week. Prednisone, plaquenil, tramadol, solu medrol, and iron may cause insomnia. With this being said, do any of you know how to help with insomnia? I only have this issue at night. I can usually sleep during the day if really tired. Sometimes if I'm really tired at night I can go to sleep BUT I won't stay asleep. This poses a serious problem since some days I work 7am-3pm. If I go to bed any day before 12-2 am I will wake up several times before it's time for me to get up. I should note that before starting my mess I had nooooo problem sleeping. And as you all well know and have experienced, I had lots of fatigue. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am dealing with insomnia as we speak. It's after 5am I should be resting soundly but am not. How do I fix/stop this? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Carli

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Carli,

This is a question that we talk about often. Lupus itself causes fatigue but we can't sleep well. THen, as you said, add to that the meds we take and many of us have issues with sleeping (or not sleeping). I wish I had the answer for you. I took a medicine for my fibro that really worked to help me sleep however I eventually maxed out on the dose and then it didn't work anymore. I too am on 60 mg of pred. daily and I try to take it early in the day but I am now back in the same boat as you.

I will be listening patiently for suggestions because so far nothing is working.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Carli,
    As Mari said, there have been lots of threads here about sleep, or lack thereof. Check them out.
    I can't take many meds without reacting badly, so I keep it simple. I take melatonin (which I need to do right now) and it helps me a bit.
    I still wake up with spasms and pain every two hours, but if I take the melatonin, I'm able to get back to sleep more quickly.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks for your replies tgal & Maria. I'm currently waiting for my Rheumy to email me back. She usually doesn't check email on wknds so I hopefully will hear from her tomorrow. This is the first week in almost 2months that I don't have to be at the hospital for anything, so I won't see her this week, but she usually answers email quickly. I will check those other threads out Maria, and see what others suggest. I'm thinking Ambien CR, because it says it helps you get to sleep then STAY asleep. I hate waking up 4-5Xs a night especially when I have to work @7am. But we will see. I hate to add another medication, but I need relief. I will say that I got a decent nap today after work. Bitter sweet bc now it's 12:37 am and I'm not sleeping anytime soon. Hope I can go by at least 3-3:30 bc I have to be in the lab @ 10am. Anywho, I'll keep you guys posted on what the doc says. Wishing you all Smiles and smooth days

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take a low dose of trazedone for sleep. It helps me with both falling and staying asleep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeghers View Post
    I take a low dose of trazedone for sleep. It helps me with both falling and staying asleep.
    I also used to take this for Restless Leg Syndrome but found the half-life was too long and I was too groggy in the morning.

Thanks

Hey guys,
    My Rheumy emailed me back and mentioned she believes the insomnia is caused by the prednisone. I saw my Dermatologist the other day at work in passing and he said the same thing. My Rheumy said we will discuss it more @ our next appt. (Tuesday). In the mean time I'm awake right now and have to be to work @ 7am. Smh! Feeling a some pain so not sure that even if I was sleep I would enjoy it. I just know I need to try to rest. I'll let you know what happens Tuesday. I've got the appt with my Rheumy then infusion right after. I also start school, so it's going to be a busy day. I can handle it. After all, I can handle anything cus I'm a lupie! Teehee

Carli

Thanks

I was only on Prendisone for a trial period and I too didnt get to sleep much after going off it I have reasonable nights sleep. Just waking with pain.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

Hello All!

I saw my Rheumy yesterday and we spoke about the insomnia and a number of other things. Most of which we agree are caused by the dose of prednisone I've been on. So, we decided it was time to start tapering down. We were scheduled to taper down in two weeks but decided to start earlier to relive some of the issues. Problem is, I can't remember what dose we agreed on. I've been trying to remember since I left infusion today. Also, for now she prescribed me Ambien 5mg. She said if necessary take 2, but don't take it every night because they are habit forming. Im up now (3:43 a.m.) so needless to say, I haven't picked them up from the pharmacy yet. On a better note, all my numbers and counts appear to be improving. So I'm happy about that. It doesn't stop the pain but 1 battle at a time I guess. I'm especially happy that my kidneys aren't excreting as much protein. Go me! Anywho, I've got terrible nausea right now so I'm gona take my pill and watch some Bob Newheart show. Ha! That should work better than Ambien at defeating my insomnia. It always put me to sleep when I was younger Later Gators!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well sleeping pills work differently for everyone, I tried Ambien and it didn't work for me I take trazadone. I know im addicted to my trazadone and I really don't care anymore, it has been nice to get 8 hours of sleep and maybe wake up only once for a bathroom break. Not saying you should take trazadone, thats just what works for me. I know my doctor always tells me to take my prednisone in the morning, for me I always forgot so I had to stick with taking them at night, but maybe that would help some.