Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Pain

Thanks

Yup! Melatonin is BAD to take! I USED to use it and I thought it was working BUT it was making things worse I just didtn know it at the time!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

WOW!
    My rheumy was the one who told me to take it!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Kathie Lea,
    I have a theory about why I always wake up about every two hours. I read once that the average REM cycle is a little over 90 minutes. As we cycle out of one REM cycle and into the next, we rouse up a bit from that state of not moving at all. Most people can turn over and go right into the next REM cycle. I think that for us, when we rouse a bit, a spasm or a wave of pain can hit us and keep us from transitioning smoothly into that next cycle.
    It's a viscous cycle, isn't it?
    Hugs,
    Marla

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (01-05-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

i have been taking magnesium tablets for my fibro, for quite a while.

i have talked my wife into taking it at bedtime. (as a sleep enhancer)

it works really good for her.
    after 7 nights of using it.......
    7 restful sleeps.
    we take 600mg tablets,
    and i reccommend trying it.

but a dosage this strong..........
    speak to your doctor first.

Thanks

Steve,
    Yes, I take magnesium at night, too. I'll have to check on the dosage. It doesn't seem to do much for me, though.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Muscle relaxers help with the spasms and cramping. I find that they extend the first sleep cycle from 2 hours to 4 hours, sometimes longer. Marla love your theory about REM. I know that I do wake up because I can't physically turn in my sleep anymore. I don't like things like ambient. I feel like I take too much meds as it is. I have too take the muscle relaxer for the PD symptoms. But it does work. I'd be asleep right now except I have a cold.

Hugs and I'm lurking. Just not up to par.

Thanks

I find that if I wake and it is too early for the next pain relief I get a heat pack and lay on it , a long one and that is so beautiful in relief and I go back to sleep in min.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

I have severe restless leg syndrome (take mirapex 3 x per day to help relieve symptoms) and have to be VERY careful with medications I take. When I took melatonin to help with my sleep disturbances (at my doc's recommendation), it caused dyskinesia (defined as anything from a slight tremor of the hands to uncontrollable movement of, most commonly, the upper body but can also be seen in the lower extremities. Discoordination can also occur internally especially with the respiratory muscles), which frighteningly, could have become permanent. I have the same reaction to Phenergan and Compazine. After doing some research on my own, I discovered an article in a medical journal under neurology that stated that melatonin is contraindicated in patients with Restless Leg Syndrome. So...if you suffer from RLS along with your Lupus and have had any adverse reactions to phenergan and/or compazine (such as dyskinesia)...check with your doctor before even trying melatonin. Dyskinesia is a miserable condition and it can become PERMANENT. My medical records are flagged so that if I am in an accident or have surgery, I am NEVER prescribed phenergan or compazine. Oh...and I threw away my bottle of melatonin.
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chinadoll For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (01-07-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I too have night pain. Same area actually. Back, hips and legs mostly. We changed up my meds so I guess I will see if it helps that. As usually, a great thing about being here is that we are not alone
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I am amazed but glad to know many of you also have night pain. I take sleep meds at night but have noticed lately that they are not working as well. I wonder if it is interacting with my Lyrica so I have tried taking the Lyrica earlier but it still doesn't seem to be helping. I am also taking Elavel and it worked for a while but not so well right now. I meet with my pain management doctor soon so I will see what suggestions he has. Supposedly I don't have RA so I guess my joint and leg pain is from the fybro or lupus.

Melanie