Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Pain

Thanks

Default Night Pain

I feel like my Lupus symptoms are in control right now but sometimes I wonder how with all the stress I am under. However, I am really glad. The one problem that I can't get control of is the pain in my legs and hips at night. Does anyone have any tips of possibly making these symptoms better. I end up taking a hydrocodone almost every night so that the symptoms will ease. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Melanie

Thanks

Hi Melanie,

Since I take Ambien every night, I get to sleep, for about 4-6 hours, but after that I wake up with bad back pain, pain in my hip and neck. I don't know, if it is from the Lupus or from the RA, my rheumy calls it Rupus sometimes.
    I get up when the pain starts, sometimes it gets better, but most of the time it doesn't, until later in the day.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hi Melanie! Sorry you are having this issue. UGH! I have to take Valium every night. It relaxes my whole body, then i turn on my sound machine to "rain" and i meditate myself to sleep. It HELPS TREMENDOUSLY! Meditation is one of the BEST things i have taken up since being sick! I had to buy "Meditaion For Dummies" to LEARN how though! It is honestly HARD to do! I am still working on being able to do it in a "busy" room! The book said it can take yrs to get that part of it down! I'm not giving up though! I noticed that if i DONT meditate myself to sleep i DONT get good sleep that night! I LOVE IT! GOOD LUCK!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

my lupus is also under control, by my medication.

my fibro is out of control.

i also have pain when i slow down to sleep.
    it is not unusual for me to take 2 hours to dose off.

i take long acting general pain relif all day.
    one just before bed time.
    i also take an anti inflamitory just before turning in.
    low level anti depressents also help me to settle down.

everyone is different, but these help me.

Thanks

I hate how ambien only gives you 4 or 6 hours of sleep. That knocks you out fast but it is not a good sleeping pill for a full nights rest. I take neurontin now and sleep like a baby. Nothing wrong with taking lortab if it helps. We need pain medication if we can tolerate them. I find that in the night, my pain is at it's worst. Thank goodness for neurontin! I can only do well with tablets, capsules don't work as well. I take one pill during the day and two at bedtime.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Like everyone else I take different meds, I found that varying my pain meds helps. Like instead of hydrocodone I take a muscle relaxer(methacrabam..I think) with some like over the counter pain pills sometimes. I take trazadone for sleep and that helps me sleep through out the night and with the pain while I sleep. Like I said I found it working better for me if I switched up my pain pills every now and then.

Thanks

Yes, I wake up every two hours all night with pain, spasms, full bladder, hot flashes or any combination thereof. I can't take opioids (allergic reaction), can't take NSAIDS too often (hard on the GI system) and I over-react to any of the sleeping pills.
    The most I can do is take a melatonin and a glass of wine at bedtime.
    Trying to sleep is the pits.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shelby View Post
    I hate how ambien only gives you 4 or 6 hours of sleep. That knocks you out fast but it is not a good sleeping pill for a full nights rest. I take neurontin now and sleep like a baby. Nothing wrong with taking lortab if it helps. We need pain medication if we can tolerate them. I find that in the night, my pain is at it's worst. Thank goodness for neurontin! I can only do well with tablets, capsules don't work as well. I take one pill during the day and two at bedtime.
    Ambien gives me more than 4-6 hours of sleep, the pain does not. If I have pain free nights, I can sleep up to 8 hours, but even with 4-6 hours, I wake up rested and not tired. It is the pain that wakes me up and I can't take painpills when I have to go to work.
    What is Neurontin, is it a pain reliever or sleeping pill?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

I have the same problem...finally get to sleep and wake up every hour or so in so much pain that I can hardly move. I take tramadol (Ultram) 3 times a day for pain, the last dose at bedtime. My doc has also prescribed a vitamin supplement called Myocalm, but I have not noticed that it helps much. If someone has an answer as to why this happens or what to do to help, I would love to know. The pain sometimes brings me to tears and definitely increases my daytime exhaustion.
    Blessings to you,
    Kathie Lea
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    ...The most I can do is take a melatonin and a glass of wine at bedtime.
    Trying to sleep is the pits.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Just wanted to post this link...dunno how accurate the info is, as of course everybody who studies Lupus says something different, but it's something to be aware of, anyway - it's form the Johns Hopkins website on Lupus: http://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-in...rmation/avoid/

Things to Avoid

If you have lupus or a condition that predisposes you to lupus, such as undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD), there are certain foods and medications that you should avoid. The substances listed below have shown to induce lupus signs and flares and should be avoided by people with lupus or autoimmune diseases suggesting “pre-lupus.”

.....(5) Melatonin and Rozerem (ramelteon)

Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in your brain that regulates other hormones in the body that control how your body reacts to daily patterns of light and dark. Melatonin release is suppressed during the light hours of the day and stimulated by dark, helping you stick to patterns of nighttime sleep and daytime wakefulness. As a result, melatonin is often used as a sleep aid over other medications. Melatonin and melatonin-containing supplements should be avoided in people with lupus and other autoimmune disorders because they may stimulate the immune system.
    In addition, people with these conditions should also avoid the prescription sleep aid Rozerem (ramelteon), because it mimics melatonin in the body. It is important that you understand the necessity of avoiding both melatonin and Rozerem, since sleep aids are often used to help people with fibromylagia and other conditions to attain normal sleep patterns. In general, be sure that you speak with your physician before taking any new medications or supplements.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

AmishCake (01-22-2012), tgal (01-07-2012)