Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Question

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Kidney Question

Here is a question for all of you with Kidney involvement.

I know the medical answer is that you don't know when your lupus has begun to attack the kidneys. They say there are no symptoms and only the urine/blood tests let you know. I now want to ask those that have if that is their experience.

I have basically been in a flare for several months. As most know I have CNS involvement and it has been tough going for awhile. I have begun to swell a lot. My hands and my feet mostly but I have assumed that it has been caused by my meds. Yesterday I began to have some pain in my kidney area on the left hand side. It is getting worse and I am assuming it is just a kidney infection and am doing all the home remedy stuff for it. I have a doctors appointment on the 4th and will talk to him about it then but I just thought that I would check with ya'll to make sure that the "experts" were all correct
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

You really don't need any more sickness. If you think you have a kidney infection it is probably better to see a doctor to get some antibiotics as soon as possible. But I understand it is difficult for you to get to the doctor and the cost involved. I am interested in the 'home remedy" you are using and how it works. My mum always told me to drink plenty of water whenever I complained about being sick. Take care my friend.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    You really don't need any more sickness. If you think you have a kidney infection it is probably better to see a doctor to get some antibiotics as soon as possible. But I understand it is difficult for you to get to the doctor and the cost involved. I am interested in the 'home remedy" you are using and how it works. My mum always told me to drink plenty of water whenever I complained about being sick. Take care my friend.
    Just water and cranberry juice! You have/had kidney involvement didn't you? Did you have any symptoms before the test results?
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I had some sort of kidney involvement, but no infection so no pain, only swelling.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

tgal, I don't know about kidney involvement with lupus (thank goodness!!!) but I have had a chronic problem with UTI's and bladder infections - probably had 100 of them over the last 25 years. I remember reading that most cranberry juices have too much sugar in them to be useful for infections...the sugar actually FEEDS the bacteria. So if you go that route, you might want to at least get the sugar-free juice. Also, most research suggests you need 16 glasses a day to be effective...which is a heck of a lot of cranberry juice! So a supplement might work better....

I have had WONDERFUL luck with an OTC product called "Cystex" - not a cranberry product, but it works better for me than anything else I have tried (and believe me...I have tried them all!!!!). Of course, everybody is different - that's just my experience. And I don't know if it helps with Lupus kidney issues - just that it helps clean out the urinary tract generally.

If it is an infection, remember that Bactrim (which is the drug of choice for UTI's) is really dangerous for folks with Lupus.

I am so sorry that you are having this trouble. I have recently had a sort of "mini-flare" - seems to be getting better now (I hope), but for the first time ever, I had swelling and pain in my lower legs for several days. I also was thinking it was maybe the first signs of kidney involvement, but I had a Rheum check and he said not to panic - I have more blood/urine work due next month and just wait to see what that says. My blood work etc was fine about 2 months ago. So I guess we'll see.

It's so hard not to worry, isn't it?!

Anyway - I hope some of that helps and that you are okay.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

Ellie Hansen (03-12-2012), tgal (12-29-2011)

Thanks

I have been curious too about kidney involvement as I've had labs show protein and bacteria in my urine before and this last one I had protein, wbc's, casts and bacteria. My complement was also notably low. I'm like the opposite of everything that is supposed to be. With my kidney infections I've had(3 so far)I never had any burning with urination just back pain up into my kidneys and sharp pains in the flank area along with tiny spots of blood. I do not get the "normal" symptoms with sicknesses so it's hard for me to even tell what is infection and what isn't in the first place. Anyhow, I've always had issues with my eyes being puffy upon waking and having the indentation from socks in my feet or leg pain after walking all day. I'm also getting bruising now on my legs when I flare. I've showed my dr but they don't see concerned although it happens when I'm flaring and then goes away like everything else. I was just put back on 7.5mgs of pred due to have adrenal insufficiency and low cortisol at 1mg and then those labs came up after being on the increased pred at 2 1/2 weeks. She was supposed to switch me down to hydrocortisone and try and taper me from there but since I had the flag in the labs dec 12th I had to get a retest set I'm waiting to hear back about. ...Sorry to rant and ramble but I just wanted to share my concerns and I'm curious about everyone's experience as well! Thanks so much and hope you had wonderful holidays! -Lupie Brittanee

P.S. I've also had some weird symptoms with my head lately...Like earlier tonight in church it felt as if the right side of my head was heavier than the right and was pulling or pushing me down or something and I was really spacey and stuff...on christmas eve I had come in from outside and started feeling dizzy and spacey and nauseous so I had to lay down. When I did all the aching, burning etc started with the lupus crap I usually get. The burning has happened a lot more since then and is present tonight as well after the weird head thing at church. Any ideas??...figured I'd mention this and get anyone's take on possible CNS involvement??
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Mari,
    The swelling is what worries me. Are you having any chills/fever? A bad kidney infection can be dangerous, so be careful.
    I've never had a doc say that I have kidney involvement with the AI issues, but I think that I've had some.
    I had a horrible infection back in college. By the time I let Jeff take me to the ER, I had a fever of 106. He was sure that he was going to be explaining the dead girl in his dorm room to the authorities that night - LOL. That was when I found out that I have two ureters on one side. When one swells up, it blocks the other one and causes a bad infection. I even miscarried my twins due to having a bad UTI very early in the pregnancy.
    I had lots of problems with frequent UTIs until I started taking a cranberry supplement EVERY DAY, without fail.

My AI issues first got really noticeable when I was stressed out at my mother-in-law's death. I was literally peeing blood for several days. I really think that this was an indication of some kidney involvement with the AI issues, but the doc that I had at the time ignored it.

So, please don't wait around too long if you keep having those symptoms. At least, go see an urgent care doc, or something.
    I'm worried about you!
    Gentle Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

What I would give to be on 7.5 mg of prednisone! I am currently on 60 (yes, 60) and MTX. I don't know if you have a neuro or not but, if not, I would suggest seeing one. One of the first ones that I saw noticed that my head tilted to the right. She would fix it and it would fall back. be careful of the "spacey" times. Even when they don't go as far as seizures like I have the really serious "fog" can cause terrible things (ask Steve and his toes). We make fun of our brain fog but there hits a crucial point where it is more than that and a neuro needs to be seen. There are tons of symptoms of CNS involvement but the key thing to remember is that if it involves your heart, brain, lungs or any major organ it needs to be looked into.
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Tgal,

I hope you are able to get into the doc prior to the 4th...that seems like a long way out if you have a kidney infection! Are you running any fever?

To answer your question: it is true (at least for me) that you can have kidney involvement and not know it. I was nephrotic and had no idea until it showed up in my urinalysis. When your kidneys are inflamed, they "leak" stuff like wbc's, rbc's, protein and other enzymes into your urine...cells that shouldn't be there at all, and you won't know anything about it until your blood pressure goes up or you have a urinalysis and it comes back abnormal. At least that is the way it was for me.

Wow...you are on a high dosage of prednisone, aren't you? When I was taking that much, I swelled up a lot...my hands, my face, my feet and ankles...ugh! One of those nasty side effects that prednisone is so famous for. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but limiting your salt intake will help with the swelling and the weight gain. I know that itsn't easy, because that is just the type of foods you crave the most!

I do hope you feel better soon and can get help from your doctor.

(((hugs)))
    Kathie Lea
    May today bring you joy, freedom from pain, and abundance of blessings!

Kathie Lea

“If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer--His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable.”~John Newton (1725 - 1807)~

Thanks

I think I wasn't clear with my question but thanks so much for the answers!!! Let me try to be more clear in my asking of this..

I KNOW that most people never know that they have kidney involvement until the leakage is found in the test. It is a "silent killer" as it were. What I am wondering is if anyone has had problems with their kidneys and known it/felt it in their body before the test.

Sorry I was unclear! Ya'll all rock!

@Chinadoll.. honey you are speaking to the choir about the weight gain. I have been on 40-60 mg of prednisone for over a year and was on 10- 20 the two years before that)! Sadly I gave up on trying to keep the weight off (as much as I would like to) what I really want to do is stop acting like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde!

Keep up the suggestions!
    Last edited by tgal; 12-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~