Thread: Cracked tongue??? (long....sorry)

Thanks

Default Cracked tongue??? (long....sorry)

I am back again!!! I found this site about a year ago when my neuro sent me to a rhuemy. My Sed rate and RH was high and she felt I needed to go. I have MANY of the signs and symptoms of Lupus...however...I had a negative ANA. My rheumy looked at me and shook his head and said he had no idea what was wrong with me. According to the lab work everything was fine. He did finally say that he thought that I might have fibromyalgia and gave me some neurontin, Ultram and Provigil. The Provigil was great...but my insurance would not pay for it. And after a few months I seemed to improve...although I still had HORRIBLE headaches. My GP did an MRI of my head and neck....head was fine, but found 3 herniated discs in my neck!!!! YIKES! Finally I had SOMETHING that I could blame these headaches on, although in my heart of hearts, I don't think that is what is causing it...THEN..I start to have bad pain in my calves...my PCP does a doppler...I ask him to run some lab while he is at it. While we are waiting for the results, Both of my legs start to hurt all over...my SKIN hurts!!! I cannot hardly touch them they hurt so bad. My feet and ankles are now so swollen that I cannot wear shoes. My mouth has been SO dry for the last several months, but to make it worse, I have developed a sore throat, blisters in the top of my mouth and my tongue has cracked!!! It hurts so bad!!! All of my sinuses feel like they have gum in them instead of normal mucous. (Sorry...I know that is gross)...I am SO tired I cannot MOVE and start to run a low grade fever. Finally my doc gets my lab work back and my SED rate is 59 and RH is 52!!! He says I need to go to a rheumy. I told him I went last year for these same symptoms, the doc did GOBS AND GOBS of lab work and said there was nothing wrong with me. My GP said I needed to go to a different rheumy and threw out a couple of names. I chose one and he said he would try to get me into see her, but she is usually VERY busy and it may be a while...SO I guess....here we go again!!!! Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone had a cracked tongue? It really hurts and is making it hard to eat, not that is would hurt me to lose a few pounds, but it is really annoying. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Deana
    HUGGS,
    Deana

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Deanna;
    There are several possibilities for the oral problems you are experiencing. One of the most common features of lupus is mouth ulcers. Ulcers are deep breaks in the skin, affecting all layers. Oral ulcers may arise in the gums, on the roof of the mouth, the tongue or on the inside of the lips. They often occur during flares (along with joint pains, rashes and hair loss). Occasionally the nose can also be affected in the same way. Some people with lupus can develop discoid skin lesions which are slightly elevated, red areas of skin. Similar lesions can occur inside the mouth or nose and occasionally they can also ulcerate. Depending on the type of lesion, steroid paste and antimalarial tablets such as hydroxychloroquine and/or mepacrine are often used to treat this type of lupus disease.
    Having a chronic condition, such as lupus, may increase the likelihood of getting some other conditions that can affect the mouth, even though they are not necessarily related in their mechanisms. Thus cold sores and oral thrush can sometimes occur.
    Keeping teeth properly brushed and flossed, and also giving up smoking, are very important in people with lupus. If the mouth is very sore, then try using a soft toothbrush and an antiseptic mouthwash, such as Corsadyl or Difflam.
    I hope that this has been helpful to you. Let me know if you need more information.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I take b vitamines and it seems to be the only thing that gets rid of the cracks in my tongue.