Thread: mild pleurisy?

Thanks

Default mild pleurisy?

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. My joint pains went away completely after about a month (yayy!) and then a few weeks later, came back. Not as bad this time, so that's good. I wonder if it is a flare! Anyway, about a week ago I started having very mild chest pains. I was wondering if pleurisy can be very mild. My friend actually had a bout of pleurisy a few weeks ago and it was so bad he had to go to the ER. Mine is nothing like that, no stabbing pains or anything. I'm not too worried about it, but it's weird - like a slight ache, and tension in my chest. I can breathe deeply and everything though.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

everyone reacts differently with lupus.
    so yes it is possible to have a mild dose, and then get over it.

it is also possible that you have swelling of the chest muscles.
    this will cause the same symptoms.
    i suffer these regularly.

please be careful ..... if it continues ...... no matter how mild, see a doctor.
    prolonged illnes is very dangerous for a suppressed immune system.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Coloradan,

Yep, I've had a milder, short duration bout of Pleurisy before. Went to the Dr. thinking it was something else, because it was not the usual debilitating bed-bound pain that it had been in the past. It was as you described it, more of a mild ache and tension, with none of the usual pain from taking a deep breath. So yes, it can happen.

At the risk of sounding repetetive, you are always better off playing it safe with even mild chest pain, and see your Dr. about it.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-17-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks

Hi guys, thank you! I have the opportunity to join my boyfriend's medical plan through his university (and my old one!) starting January 1. It's a lot of money but I think I'll do it. Thanks for the information and the encouragement!

Thanks

Hi Coloradan,
    I'm sure that I was feeling a mild case of pleurisy last night. I had overdone it a bit yesterday - cleaned the bathrooms, did three loads of laundry and cleaned the upholstery on the couch. By the late evening, I was falling asleep on the clean couch, and felt a bit of pain in the left side of my chest, especially when I took a deep breath. After a night's sleep, it was gone.
    I've mentioned this to the rheumy before, but she ignored it. After reading about pleurisy here, I'm convinced that is what I'm feeling.
    I hope that yours goes away as quickly as mine did.
    Hugs,
    Marla