Thread: Lupus Vasculitis - ?

Thanks

Default Lupus Vasculitis - ?

I had an MRI of the brain a while back, complaints of brain fog - :roll: like that is so unusual for us!

Based on the results, I do NOT have MS, which was a relief. But the neurologist wants to do a spinal tap and EEG to rule out lupus vasculitis.

So....what the heck IS lupus vasculitis, are there less painful ways to finalize a diagnosis? And what might the treatment be?

Thanks, all.....I'm just a bit nervous about having a big long needle stuck into my spine. :shock:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Hatlady;
    Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels. Inflammation is a condition in which tissue is damaged by blood cells entering the tissues. These are mostly white blood cells which circulate and serve as our major defense against infection. I'm assuming that the doctors have said that your vasculitis is a Central Nervous System (CNS) vasculitis. If that is the case, vasculitis of the CNS is an inflammation of the brain's blood vessels due to lupus activity. The typical symptoms are high fevers, seizures, meningitis-like stiffness of the neck, & may manifest psychotic or bizarre behaviour. Vasculitis in the brain can cause many problems, from mild to severe. They include headaches, behavioral disturbances, confusion, seizures, and strokes.
    Here is a good website that will give you much more information about vasculitis: http://www.hamline.edu/~lupus/articl...asculitis.html

Let me know if this has been helpful
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks, Saysusie, that is immensely helpful!

I've had the headaches, and the feeling like i have cotton stuffed in every crevace of my brain. But nothing more serious than that. So I'm hoping he's reaching for a diagnosis - and that this will all come to naught. Just the normal fuzzy brained lupie....

The link was great - I now feel like i'm working from a point of knowledge, not of total mystery.

Thanks

Default Vasculitis

Hatlady

Have you ever had seizures with the brain problems? I had an MRI and lumbar puncture to get a definite diagnosis of lupus. My dr said what I have is classified as cerebritis. I hate to tell you this but the lumbar puncture can be extremely painful. The first one I had was horrible but I had another one done in Jan and had a dr who was extremely careful and went very slowly to collect the spinal fluid. From what I gather the lumbar puncture is the more accurate way to diagnosis this problem.

I had had seizures, severe headaches and confusion. I also see a neurologist who prescribed seizure/migraine meds. Let us know how it goes!

Catlady4520
    Catlady4520