Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is money more important than your health and sanity?

Thanks

Question Is money more important than your health and sanity?

This was my "easy" semester. Being premed, I know its only going to get worse from here on out. I really am just worn out and just mentally drained. I find myself being really "lazy" and just enjoying sitting around on my computer and lack any motivation to do anything. I know that this is not uncommon for people my age, but its not from actual laziness for once its from this past flare up and playing catch up recently. I feel like I have been going going going with not near enough rest. Whenever I do get down time, I do not want to spend it giving myself a headache with math and chem, I just want to lay down and watch a movie or something. I go from school, to work, get home late sometimes, eat, and pass out. I haven't even been sleeping good except when I am 100% exhausted and can barely even sit up. So in all this rambling my question to you is, should I try to get through school as fast as possible to save money that I will be taking out in loans, or do I at least take off next summer (Im currently planning on 2 classes this summer) and keep my sanity and get myself back on track?
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh Sweetie; I wish that I could give you a definitive answer to your question. The truth is, no one can answer that question but you. You will have to do what you feel is best for your health (long term) - both your physical and emotional health.
    Only you know what your limits are, what you are capable of, and what milestones you can meet at any given time. My only suggestion would be to look at your short term and your long term goals and objectives and make your plan according to those.
    You are so gifted and resilient, you should be very proud of what you've accomplished thus far and I know that you will do just as well in whatever direction you decide to go.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (12-07-2011), steve.b (12-08-2011)

Thanks

Ritz,
    I know that you want to get through school as quickly as possible, but sometimes our brains and bodies just need a little "cool down" time.
    Take the time over winter break to relax, and you will be more ready for next semester. Don't decide about the summer classes until you determine how the next semester is going. You will know by spring break if your body is demanding some down time. If you need to slow down, do it! You won't be able to do your best if your health is taking all of your time and attention.
    Hang in there, girl. We all know that you can do it.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

i agree with saysuzie.
    only you know what you can do.

my advise would be to think carefully.
    if you overdo it, you will not be able to get the results you want.

it will be harder get the work you want with lower grades.

it is a very hard decission, but one your body will guide you through.

Thanks

Since posting this I have been offered a second job.....I need to call and see about the hours and stuff. I know its only 3 days a week. I dont know if it will work with my school and other jobs schedule but if it does I might take it...I really need the money. You must all think Im crazy. I can barely afford gas and insurance for my car. I never spend money on anything else and I need money for next semesters books and supplies sooo a second job might be a blessing in some way.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Be careful, Ritz. I know you need the money, but if your grades and health suffer, then you won't be able to reach your goals. Can you alternate working for a semester with going to school, or get a job on campus that will allow you to study when you aren't busy? My niece worked in the information booth at her university and got almost all of her studying done during her work hours.

Thanks

If I dont have a job I cant even get to school. I already paid for next semester so I cant take off. I also wont even be able to pay for the books I need, cheapest ones and rented and everything, if I dont get a few hundred dollars saved by the end of this month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    If I dont have a job I cant even get to school. I already paid for next semester so I cant take off. I also wont even be able to pay for the books I need, cheapest ones and rented and everything, if I dont get a few hundred dollars saved by the end of this month.
    I'll pass on some wisdom from my oldest daughter, who graduated magna cum laude and is in Germany on a Fulbright scholarship right now: wait until classes actually start before you buy/rent books. She would look at her syllabus to see how much the professor was actually going to use the book, then make a decision about whether to buy or not. Most semesters she got by with half as many books as were assigned. The universities make money by selling you books, so most require a professor to assign a text, whether they actually teach from it or not.

Thanks

I only bought 2 that I needed this semester. But the ones who didnt need books needed other things like 40-50 buck memberships to homework websites or things we were using inside class. And my classes are bio chem math and anthropology this semester. I have a feeling Im going to need a book for all of them =( and more than likely extra things for the labs that go with them. I dont know where Im going to come up with the money. I have been saving as much as I can since I started working and I've barely made any profit from when I started! I have to put gas in my car so much from driving to school and work that its eating up most of what I make. =(

Thanks

Well, poo! I wish I could help you out, Ritz. Maybe your family will give you money for Christmas instead of gifts, if you ask?