Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone?

Thanks

Default Prednisone?

I went on Prendisone for a month back in 2009 and had a heart spasm which was at the time put down to a reaction to the Prendisone. I have just had another heart/chest pain incident but not on Prendisone and this is still being looked into. Has any others had reactions on Prendisone or is it just Lupus doing its thing. I was told by the gp that Lupus can cause spasm of the veins around the heart. I go to my rhumy next week for the first time and would like to be a bit better informed about Prendisone.

I see that lots of people have weight problems on Prendisone. Is it necessary to take Prendisone? If so why what does it do that other drugs don't?

Thanks for your help!
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First off let me say that I have a love/hate relationship with steroids. I hate having to take them. I hate what they do to my body (inside and out) but without them I can hardly deal with this disease. Do you have to take steroids? Each of us is different but I will say that steroids are a front line drug meaning that they are one of the first things given to reduce the inflammation in our body. Only your doctor can tell you if you are at a place where steroids are needed but sadly we don't have a whole lot of options

As for the heart issues. Yes, Lupus can cause heart issues. SLE can attack the organs or, as you mentioned, caused the spasms which reduces blood flow into the heart. The spasms are called angina and I carry nitro in my purse. When I get chest pains the nitro opens everything up and we go on about our business.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-02-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Im with Tgal, hate what the steroids do to me but I couldn't get up in the morning without them. When I take steroids it helps with my pain so heart spasm because of the prednisone has never happened to me. Have you brought this spasm problem up with your doctor in before? Seems like something that should be taken in consideration if thats what is happening. Now the weight thing, if you watched what you ate it wouldn't be a problem. I personally havn't had that much problem with my weight because of the prednisone but I can see why it happens a lot because your hungry all the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-02-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. Yes weight gain of 5kl in just 3weeks when I tried it in2009. I will be discussing the heart issue with the rhumy on Thur 8th. Had the Eco stress yesterday and that said I was having an extra heart beat then missing a beat along with other stuff ey wouldn't say until I see the cardio.

If Prendisone only gets rid of pain I may not take it I will discuss this with the Dr. If it stops the progression of the disease then I feel I should take it. During the trial my husband said my speech doubled in speed which was interesting and he said I hardly shut up... Oh well I didn't notice that and HEE HEE he will cope I have bought him an iPod since HEE HEE. Thank you for your comments and I will let you know what e Dr says later this week.
    Desley

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i was givern steroids, when first diagnosed.
    i had no problems taking them.
    i had a round of steroids after my operation, a short course, but a lot stronger.
    again i had no adverse side effects.

everyone is different. what effects some people... does not effect others.
    it is unfortunate, but there is no real hard and fast rule.
    only guide lines, when it comes to lupus and its medication.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-03-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Like Mari, and many others, I too have a love/hate relationship with steroids. The side effects, depending upon your dose and duration, can go from short and mild, to longer, and severe.

I hate the side effects, but I do like the nearly immediate anti-inflammatory effects.

Rob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-03-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Desley,

I've been on Steroids for over 40 years, luckily for me weight has not been a problem.
    My original diagnosis was because of pericarditis ( swollen heart) and over ensuing years i suffered bouts of chest pain - I was'nt on prednisolone at that time.
    I've managed to lead a fairly normal life with steroids being stepped up when in a flare
    Droping back to 10mg when in remission.
    However last year my then Rheumy(same one Linda had issues with) said it was time I came off prednisone and put me on Methotrexate
    I could hardly function, muscles and joints seemed to seize up and I could hardly get out of a chair with out help.
    Since coming to Gold Coast I have a new Consultant Rheumy who could'nt believe some one would do that.
    I'm now back on 10mg Prednislone, have had several operations from which I recovered well and life's looking good.
    Talk to your Rheumy and explain your concerns after your previous experience, ask questions
    As Steve says everyone is different.
    Good luck

Merrilyn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Merrilyn OZ For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn OZ View Post
    Hi Desley,

I've been on Steroids for over 40 years, luckily for me weight has not been a problem.
    My original diagnosis was because of pericarditis ( swollen heart) and over ensuing years i suffered bouts of chest pain - I was'nt on prednisolone at that time.
    I've managed to lead a fairly normal life with steroids being stepped up when in a flare
    Droping back to 10mg when in remission.
    However last year my then Rheumy(same one Linda had issues with) said it was time I came off prednisone and put me on Methotrexate
    I could hardly function, muscles and joints seemed to seize up and I could hardly get out of a chair with out help.
    Since coming to Gold Coast I have a new Consultant Rheumy who could'nt believe some one would do that.
    I'm now back on 10mg Prednislone, have had several operations from which I recovered well and life's looking good.
    Talk to your Rheumy and explain your concerns after your previous experience, ask questions
    As Steve says everyone is different.
    Good luck

Merrilyn
    Which rhumy did you and Linda have issues with? I saw one back in 2008 and wasn't impressed so stopped going ...might be the same one?
    Desley

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dr Langlands and we saw him at Midlands, but he possible has clinics elsewhere.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Merrilyn OZ For This Useful Post:

Desleywr (12-04-2011)

Thanks

Ahh good I am not seeing him I am seeing Dr Mark Reed at Hollowood. I was referred to him by Jollydolly over coffee. Thanks for that.
    Desley