Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help quick

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunniebun View Post
    Its in no way close to a cure right? Its just a much stronger drug apparently? I don't fully understand what it does. Its not some magic drug that will help us all go back to work. I'm hoping for something with less side affects, that's all I want right now...Because I really, really hate Plaquenil.
    I don't fully understand it either, but from what I do know about it, you are correct that it's not a cure, but rather a more powerful drug. I don't know if it can be used as a substitute for Plaquenil. It sure would be nice if it could. I'll be interested in what information Desley's husband comes up with.

Rob

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desleywr View Post
    Rob
    My husband is a science researcher and he is in Nano technology -director of the Stretigic Nano Fabrication Centre at UWA. He isn't in the field but is going to look and make enquiry with other researchers he works with with regard to me using it. I go for my first rhumy appointment next week so I feel itis best to understand all I can re lupus. Thanks for sending me to this article
    Des
    Nano Technology-Very cool stuff!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Shrugs.. won't do me any good. No insurance and it costs about $35,000 a year. Pitiful!
    Yes I read how much it costs in USA .. Our gov will most likely put a caveat on something that costly and make it so that you can only get it if you have tried the others at less cost...... E.g. I am allergic to Asprin and because of that I am allowed to get Plavix which is very expensive on the the gov list but because I fit the caveat of not being able to take Asprin and having tried it they now let me have the Plavix at our reduced cost of $32 .. This is also on a maximum for the calendar year as once I have spent $1,300 all my meds go down to $5 per script. Not all drugs get on the list but the list is quite extensive. Some drugs are on the list and can only be cheap when used for a specific disease. I do hope USA gets a better health system soon for you all.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunniebun View Post
    Its in no way close to a cure right? Its just a much stronger drug apparently? I don't fully understand what it does. Its not some magic drug that will help us all go back to work. I'm hoping for something with less side affects, that's all I want right now...Because I really, really hate Plaquenil.
    I think you are right that it has much less side effects. And reduces the amount of flares. Colin is going to look at its structure and that may give us some better understanding I will post more when he gets the info he is looking for.
    Desley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Nano Technology-Very cool stuff!
    Yes it is very exciting Colin (Raston)is working on growing skin, repairing the damaged spinal cord, he has invented a new machine for use with Nano particles, drug delivery for cancer etc.etc. Working on getting drugs through the brain barrier, he has published 21 papers this year on Nano discoveries he has made and has a wonderful time doing it. When I see what he has done over the years and note his wild childhood ...blowing up boms etc... And I look at many not all but many of the children today who are on Ritilen I am saddened as they are quite possibly the future scientists of the world.
    Desley

Thanks

Desley,
    I have a daughter who is a neurobiology researcher. She has worked at Cal Tech, Duke and now at NYU. I don't understand much of what she is doing, but I know that it involves studying what part of the brain is involved in eye-hand coordination. There is some work going on at Duke that tries to improve how artificial limbs coordinate with the rest of the body and might be controlled by the brain. Her research feeds into that project.
    It is pretty exciting to hear first-hand what scientists are doing.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Desley,
    I have a daughter who is a neurobiology researcher. She has worked at Cal Tech, Duke and now at NYU. I don't understand much of what she is doing, but I know that it involves studying what part of the brain is involved in eye-hand coordination. There is some work going on at Duke that tries to improve how artificial limbs coordinate with the rest of the body and might be controlled by the brain. Her research feeds into that project.
    It is pretty exciting to hear first-hand what scientists are doing.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Maria
    That sounds so interesting. I find it so interesting to hear what is being researched. Just thinking about the implications of one thing being successful is so encouraging. I am not a scientist in any way so I always get Colin to explain in terms of application of the research. I was taken by ambulance last week to hospital due to chest pain and I had morphine squirted up my nose. Colin told me at a friend of ours had developed that morphine being say ethic and I noted it didn't give me any sick stomach like the normal stuff does. Great hey!
    Desley